Not great heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBuu

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just been trying to set up a larger tank for my Woma, he's about 65cm, and was advised to put him in a huge tank.
I'm having issues with heating, mostly not knowing what to do exactly.
In the previous much smaller tank I had a heat mat on 24/7 and he'd basically live on it and even slide his hide to it.
In the new tank I've got a halogen bulb and the heat mat on one area of the tank but it's not getting to the heats I'd like.
Could it be from the mesh top or could it be the bulb? I had previously put in a stupidly pricey ceramic bulb but that didn't reach low enough like the halogen appears to not be as well.

Mesh on top ? and made of glass ? Worst enclosure design ever. Good for looking at your reptile but pretty useless functionally unless you live in the warmer climates.
If you are going to stick with it you need to block off most of the top because heat rises and also wrap the sides and back in foam /cardboard /timber to help retain heat because glass is a lousy insulator.
Alternatively if you can or want to , you could build a wooden enclosure ( or buy 1) some people convert old furniture like a TV cabinet etc. The advantage of building your own is you can make anything you like, some people have themes like castles,star wars, whatever takes your fancy or just go natural , choice is yours

Halogens are the best for heat mabey up the wattage??:)
I'm using a 150W
Halogens are the best for heat mabey up the wattage??:)
Running a 150w halogen, will look for a 200W if I can find it in Edison fitting.

Mesh on top ? and made of glass ? Worst enclosure design ever. Good for looking at your reptile but pretty useless functionally unless you live in the warmer climates.
If you are going to stick with it you need to block off most of the top because heat rises and also wrap the sides and back in foam /cardboard /timber to help retain heat because glass is a lousy insulator.
Alternatively if you can or want to , you could build a wooden enclosure ( or buy 1) some people convert old furniture like a TV cabinet etc. The advantage of building your own is you can make anything you like, some people have themes like castles,star wars, whatever takes your fancy or just go natural , choice is yours
That's the style yeah, I figured the wood would have been better but kinda just jumped at it as I needed it quickly. Lol. Now I'm spending that time modifying instead haha

Thanks for the advice

Those glass enclosures with top ventilation are becoming very popular because they're pretty, but they are absolutely shocking for tropical snakes, especially pythons. Top ventilation will always allow heat to escape quickly, but glass also conducts heat very effectively, so for anything needing a warm environment, they're terrible to use anywhere the temperature can be cooler than ideal. You can get away with using them in warm climates or warm rooms, but many people have problems with them.

Ironically, the thing most snakes thrive best in, plastic tubs, people hate and often consider to be terrible.

Those glass enclosures are good for things which like basking lamps - diurnal, sun-loving lizards (most dragons and monitors, most skinks, etc), Diamond Pythons, bredli, cool-climate elapids, etc, because they allow you to give a hot basking spot without overheating the whole enclosure, but they're terrible for tropical pythons unless you're somewhere warm and don't need to give them much heating.

Those glass enclosures with top ventilation are becoming very popular because they're pretty, but they are absolutely shocking for tropical snakes, especially pythons. Top ventilation will always allow heat to escape quickly, but glass also conducts heat very effectively, so for anything needing a warm environment, they're terrible to use anywhere the temperature can be cooler than ideal. You can get away with using them in warm climates or warm rooms, but many people have problems with them.

Ironically, the thing most snakes thrive best in, plastic tubs, people hate and often consider to be terrible.

Those glass enclosures are good for things which like basking lamps - diurnal, sun-loving lizards (most dragons and monitors, most skinks, etc), Diamond Pythons, bredli, cool-climate elapids, etc, because they allow you to give a hot basking spot without overheating the whole enclosure, but they're terrible for tropical pythons unless you're somewhere warm and don't need to give them much heating.
Definitely agree with this. I have a full size glass enclosure that works well for me but only because I live in a very tropical part of Queensland and it doesn't get too cold here. I had all sorts of issues when my snake was younger though as I had been sold a glass enclosure as a juvenile. After changing to a plastic tub life got so much easier for the both of us !, until he was older, had size and was feeding regularly.

Latest posts

Back