Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this mean that everyone here stating that people should accept the advertised price will not go into a store and haggle the price...of course not....there is no harm in asking the question, if you really want the animal then you ask for photos, discount etc and then agree on what the seller offers or straight out say no thank you!

I will ALWAYS ask if this is the best price they can do, I will always ask for photos, without tyre kickers, how are you going to sell a product.

We have people contact us all the time for our services, ask for discounts and deals, we then negotiate where we can to secure the transaction, sometimes we will drop our price, other times we will not, but if a person doesnt ask the question how will they ever know?
so snakehandler your happy to discount the price of your courses just because someone asks?

So does this mean that everyone here stating that people should accept the advertised price will not go into a store and haggle the price...of course not....there is no harm in asking the question, if you really want the animal then you ask for photos, discount etc and then agree on what the seller offers or straight out say no thank you!

I will ALWAYS ask if this is the best price they can do, I will always ask for photos, without tyre kickers, how are you going to sell a product.

We have people contact us all the time for our services, ask for discounts and deals, we then negotiate where we can to secure the transaction, sometimes we will drop our price, other times we will not, but if a person doesnt ask the question how will they ever know?

No, it doesn't mean there is no room in society for haggling... but people need to know the times and places it is appropriate...

You can walk into a discount electrical store and haggle on price, or get them to match a competitor... But you don't walk into McDonalds and argue over the price of a Big Mac... there is a difference... And I doubt there are many people in broader society who would walk into a 'Pet's Paradise' or other pet store, and haggle on the price of a puppy. The price is the price, and that's it, in a lot of environments...

And there is a clear distinction, in private and business transactions alike, between asking 'is that the best price' when you are already commited to purchasing, and asking 'can you beat the price' when you have no clear intentions of buying.

No, it doesn't mean there is no room in society for haggling... but people need to know the times and places it is appropriate...

You can walk into a discount electrical store and haggle on price, or get them to match a competitor... But you don't walk into McDonalds and argue over the price of a Big Mac... there is a difference... And I doubt there are many people in broader society who would walk into a 'Pet's Paradise' or other pet store, and haggle on the price of a puppy. The price is the price, and that's it, in a lot of environments...

And there is a clear distinction, in private and business transactions alike, between asking 'is that the best price' when you are already commited to purchasing, and asking 'can you beat the price' when you have no clear intentions of buying.
I haggle my local pet store all the time
He hates me but im not paying full price while he insist on stocking pieces!

Last edited:
McDonalds, Woolworth, etc., are already undercutting everybody else in the business, it's a different scenario. In Woolies, you can buy "home brand" cheaper than other brands or you can go across the road to a specialty shop and buy the product there for 3 times the price.

It's not unreasonable for a breeder to have a set price on a single or on a pair of reptiles and if the buyer is interested in buying more, then there is a room for talking the price. It's very different than approaching the buyer with "how much if I buy 4?" knowing you only want or can afford two. I have no time for these wa..... I mean "characters".

Wranga, read the post....I will negotiate where I can.... obviously there are people asking for discounts on certain aspects of our business that get a flat out NO, but if they dont ask how will they know.

If you are not prepared to have people ask the question then dont advertise a product, not many people will pay the requested price without question.

Look, don't get me wrong... it's part of selling... if you have a product, and you want to sell it, you need to be prepared to do the leg work (including fielding enquiries about price etc).

Sellers need to be patient enough to deal with these questions.

Buyers need to be honest with themselves though (they are the only ones who know for sure) and try not to time waste... Everyone is guilty of it at some point (not necessarily when it comes to buying a reptile) but try not to do it. If you don't have the money, and you are haggling so that you know 'how low you COULD get it for' please do not bother... wait until you have the money, are commited to buying, and then haggle your life away!

I can honestly say when I know the price of an animal I have never asked for it cheaper, as I would feel embarrassed if they said 'No'..LOL

It really irks me when they have EOI...how am I to know what sort of money they are looking for?
When I go into a shop and there is no price on or near their goods, I just walk out.

snakehandle why not just advertise your best price instead of haggling over the price of parts of your business. i dont care what products or services someone or a business is selling, but to haggle on the price imo is all about the seller getting more from a buyer than they would of been happy to sell at a best price. otherwise they would of advertised the best price to start with. anyway like i said its my opinion. cheers

In all products sold there is a profit margin, its a simple question, is this the best price?... If a person responds and says yes this is the best price, then you either take or or leave it....I have rarely paid what a person was asking for a reptile unless I know that it is a great price.....

You dont pay what price is advertised for most things apart from staples, you shop around for the best price on electricity, phone service providers, banks, pet food, electrical goods, sporting goods, so what is the hassle....its a simple question that requires a simple answer! YES or NO

I no longer hold animals without either having met the person or a $50 deposit. The deposit tends to sort out who really intends buying the snakes or not.

Once you start doing deals someone is going to feel cheated in that they didn't get what someone else did. If you set a standard you need to stick to it and accept that that standard may not suit everyone. Some buyers want the best whilst some buyers want the cheapest. Some sellers want to sell at any cost(deal) whilst others may chose not to sell rather than compromising their standards.
There is room in the market place for all but some buyers try for David Jones service at Two Dollar Shop prices. They might do it once but its not sustainable in the long term!

I haggle for everything my theorie is that if a seller lets me walk away without a purchase then they are at there lowest price. A product and i mean any product is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay for it.

In all products sold there is a profit margin, its a simple question, is this the best price?... If a person responds and says yes this is the best price, then you either take or or leave it....I have rarely paid what a person was asking for a reptile unless I know that it is a great price.....

You dont pay what price is advertised for most things apart from staples, you shop around for the best price on electricity, phone service providers, banks, pet food, electrical goods, sporting goods, so what is the hassle....its a simple question that requires a simple answer! YES or NO

Not everybody does that. I pay for a phone service that is most reliable, bank where I don't have to wait hours in a queue and I certainly buy the best quality pet food there is, even it all costs little more. I am not a rich man but to me - quality is worth little bit of extra money.

[every body haggles,
all you dont talk to me ,im a breeder! better make hay while the sun shines, cause those prices are coming down. im happy to show parents or anything else, its a press of a button for gods sake.

Last edited:
I haggle for everything my theorie is that if a seller lets me walk away without a purchase then they are at there lowest price. A product and i mean any product is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay for it.

Steve, you can walk out on me any time and I couldn't care less. My "product" as you put it, is worth what it's worth to me - not to you. If everybody walks out on me just because I don't give them discount, than I close the shop and start doing something else. Who is going to be the looser in the end?

Last edited:
Actually it is a buyers world...otherwise why have the prices on GTP's, BHP's and albinos dropped. If a person asks it is not an insult it is business.... and waterrat, you have shopped around for the desired things you require...it might not be price in your case, but if one service provider cannot give you what you want you go elsewhere....its the same for prices...

Give me what I want and I will take it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back