Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will also add, that if you need to offset the cost of your reptiles by breeding, then you probably shouldn't own them, as you obviously can't afford to.

Do you write for living?

M

uh Huh. Music/Lyrics. Obviously my talents are being put to good use to save the planet, a la Ghandhi or Ivan Milat.

I run a design/marketing beheamoth also which, ironically, corporate clients like to employ to SELL THEIR PRODUCT . !!

Waterrat (love your site btw) is the free ticket offer still running. I am looking for a GTP- please tell me you live in Bali ;)

Now, if you could just send me some pics and husbandy inf-

nevermind.

Its going to always happen, whether your selling reptiles, a car, or anything else..

If you dont supply pictures, you will get ppl asking to see a pic,,Ive never sold reptiles but have sold other things including my old commodore, and i always put pics with an advertisement. Its just easier for everyone.
If your going to sell something, you have to expect alot of annoying people asking annoying questions.
You can usually tell the genuine buyers, so just ignore the rest ;)

So true. Since when does selling anything give you the right to dictate the format of enquiries ?

That kind of thinking just sticks of arrogance and laziness. At least we know which breeders to avoid now. And which ones to send money to.

The only people that think that reptiles are over priced are the ones that can't afford them.
Oh yes and all the whingers that wont outlay to start a breeding program.

uh Huh. Music/Lyrics. Obviously my talents are being put to good use to save the planet, a la Ghandhi or Ivan Milat.

I run a design/marketing beheamoth also which, ironically, corporate clients like to employ to SELL THEIR PRODUCT . !!

Waterrat (love your site btw) is the free ticket offer still running. I am looking for a GTP- please tell me you live in Bali ;)

Now, if you could just send me some pics and husbandy inf-

nevermind.

I live in Cairns and you are welcome to visit me. As for the ticket, as I said, there are ways - you just have to figure it out.
One dude kept asking me for more and more photographs, so I then asked him for a photo of his cash - was my request unreasonable?

haha that is more than fair- and a little humorous also. As long as you thanked him and replied in a timely manner when he sent you this:

johnny-cash-2.jpg

Weezer has some very good points I think... and I am also with Trippz, If you can email a picture, why cant you post on on a forum... surely posting it once is easier than emailing it over and over again? I also would ask for pics of parents (both) and clear ones at that. in the case enclosures i also would want to see pics of the joinery. In saying that i'm no photo collector, and i have been strung along selling things on this site, If you figure out who the children are it makes it a bit easier sometimes... but it no worse that selling anything else like a bike or car from home. It is the nature of the beast.... COP IT.

If you do not intend to buy an animal that has been advertised, " DO NOT RESPOND TO THE AD".
If you do not want to pay the advertised price, " DO NOT RESPOND TO THE AD".

You are a major draw back to this hobby taking off.
If you do not think the animal is worth the advertised price, you are entitled to your opinion. There is no need to waste the sellers time, go and get yourself a life.

The one funny thing out of this whole saga was that the highest offer received was from a Pet Shop.

Cheers.

I disagree with you and many others who have replied totally, I'm really not trying to start an argument as most people will think, so please keep your replies civil.

My "opinion" is this....

In no way are the people who ask for a discount or asking about an animal with no intentions of buying a "Major draw back" to this hobby. They obviously have an interest and are seeking more information on particular animals. It has also been drilled into everyone via the media (A Current Affair etc) to haggle on price on EVERYTHING! You would be a hypocrite to say you haven't asked for a TV, or DVD player or atleast something cheaper than the ticketed price, you could say you are contributing to businesses going out of business and ruining peoples lively hoods by doing so?

Have you considered that selling your animals at a particular price may be a detriment to the hobby as it could be stopping people from owning an animal that could improve the numbers in captivity, or is it more important for the hobby that you make extremely high prices on an animal because you were one of the first to obtain a particular breed?

Please, I welcome constructive replies, no need to get upset or personal...

I disagree with you and many others who have replied totally, I'm really not trying to start an argument as most people will think, so please keep your replies civil.

My "opinion" is this....

In no way are the people who ask for a discount or asking about an animal with no intentions of buying a "Major draw back" to this hobby. They obviously have an interest and are seeking more information on particular animals. It has also been drilled into everyone via the media (A Current Affair etc) to haggle on price on EVERYTHING! You would be a hypocrite to say you haven't asked for a TV, or DVD player or atleast something cheaper than the ticketed price, you could say you are contributing to businesses going out of business and ruining peoples lively hoods by doing so?

Have you considered that selling your animals at a particular price may be a detriment to the hobby as it could be stopping people from owning an animal that could improve the numbers in captivity, or is it more important for the hobby that you make extremely high prices on an animal because you were one of the first to obtain a particular breed?

some very good points mate

and for those who put up in there for sale threads "open to reasonable offers " your just asking for people to give you what they feel is a reasonable offer on the item you have for sale

so dont be sooks !!!

The only people that think that reptiles are over priced are the ones that can't afford them.
Oh yes and all the whingers that wont outlay to start a breeding program.

Most was wat was said, and people out there can afford them but would you buy something you can get cheaper elsewhere? I think price matching was brought in for that reason.

Its like BHP and Woma's now, some people still sell them at prices from last year and beyond when these days there are too many around and the demand is not as intense thats why the price drop has been massive in fact halved or better, some breeders still not realising this and not budging.

Sometimes they need to be realistic.

NG i mean no disrespect, but all these people who whinge about reptiles being over priced are the same one that want top dollar when they are selling animals.
If i headed my ad " I am a discount store" then i would discount. But i don't do that so i wont.

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with haggling... Heck I just got a new ride on today and knocked the prise from 2000 to 1800. It just need to be done with a little effort and not just a PM with will you take X amount

Like just simply explain you situation and why you should get a discount instead of just expecting one

JMO

Lewy

Yes kupper there are reasonable offers and there are just some that you wouldn't even reply to.

Totally agree with this thread.
I hope some tyre kickers read this and take note.

NG i mean no disrespect, but all these people who whinge about reptiles being over priced are the same one that want top dollar when they are selling animals.
If i headed my ad " I am a discount store" then i would discount. But i don't do that so i wont.

You have a right to say "No" to a discount, as much as the enquirer has a right to ask for one. If you have a product, or in this case an animal and its value is what you are asking, then you will sell it, it just may take some time as people's perceived value on any item is far less than what is originally advertised.

My "opinion" is this....

I agree with your comments in the first paragraph but not with the rest of it.

Breeders / sellers can offer their animals at whatever price they want to - if their animals don't sell and they get stuck with them - it's their problem, not the buyer's. Is there any need for increasing the numbers in captivity? There is a thread on other forum where a breeder referred to intergrades (that he bred) as "worthless" and if they didn't hatch alive, he would have thrown the carcasses to his mate's black-headeds. Nice!
What is an "extremely high price"? It's a matter of perception, a person's financial position and desire for luxury things. Do you think that Ferrari should cost the same as Mazda? After all, they are just cars.... How much cost a pure bred German Sheppard?
If all species of reptiles were available and dirt cheap - THAT would be detrimental to the hobby as many would treat them as the "worthless intergrades"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back