Overnight heating for baby bearded dragone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacey

Reaction score
Overnight heating for baby bearded dragon

I am in the process of setting up a tank ready to purcase a bearded dragon. So far I think I am pretty well set up, I have a 91cmx45x51 glass tank, 50w fan heat light, 18w uvb 10 light, thermometer, basking rock, log for hiding etc but at the moment my only concern before purchasing is the night time heating.... I have been told mixed messages from pet stores re: night heating for baby bearded dragons. Some have said at the moment with the temp being so hot you dont need to have any heating overnight and some have said rather than having the heat light I need to get a red heat globe so they can still get the heat without the light so they can sleep and the other option told was to get a small heat mat for overnight. Can someone please help me :D

Last edited:
You'll probably get mixed messages on here too. ;)

I don't heat hatchies/juveniles at night. Adults neither. Heat for 6hrs and UV for 8-10hrs will be fine.

i have a ceramic heat lamp for mine which i use overnight during winter, yes they dont have them in the wild but they also have nice warm spots they crawl into and sleep and as i live in part of their native habitat it gets freezing cold here at night so i offer her a little extra night time warmth but like everything else its up to each person what they do and dont do with their own animals and yes you will get mixed messages in here as some will heat at night and others wont so go on your own gut feeling however i do know not to use heat mats as i can burn the undersize of the reptile sleeping on it

Peronally. l don't heat at night during summer or winter. My rule of thumb is that if it get's to 16 degrees in the living room where Yoda is, then l use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), just to take the chill out of the air, but l think l've only used it about 3 times.
If you are going to heat at night, make sure you use a CHE as any sort of lights WILL disturb your beardie and throw his sleeping out of wack.

i agree with ajandj totally there no need for heat.my room in winter may drop below 16 and i never had a problem as long as u have a nice hot basking spot during the day(40-43)

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I feel alot more at ease and even more excited now to find my new baby. Thanks again :D

No heating at night, and I live in Melb! I couldnt afford to run 24 hours on my reptiles and quite frankly dont see the need.

I don't heat any over night.

Dragons are fantastic - Enjoy!

They don't need any night heating, in fact it can do them more harm then good by super charging their metobolism, causing them to grow fast and leaving them susceptible to MBD problems.

i dont heat my beardies enclosure at night she just goes in here hide and buries herself no problems yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back