Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

womas4me

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, we have been looking through some of the classifieds and cant seem to find any perthensis. Wondering if many are available, the cost etc. They are such an excellent little python but not many seem to be available. Cheers

I have never seen these for sale. I have heard of them for sale once though, not sure whos they were...but they were expensive and snapped up very quickly I believe!

I'd hazard a guess at about 10 legal ones in captivity. There are a few that are kept as Stimsoni etc...

OK, thanks. There is a push in WA to have them put on the approved species list. Hopefully this will go ahead and there will be more of this great python available. Are they allowed in the other states? You would have to be a poor herper indeed not to be able to tell a pygmy from a stimi. Also what price range are they sold at?

Hi Womas,
I have been looking for Perthensis since I got out here nearly two years ago.
I would definately be interested in working with them if available.
There are some in NSW, the NSW NPWS stat's say that there are 3 licenced keepers, 10 having been acquired last year, and 6 disposed of(May have died, may have sold?) there is currently 8 now registered. None bred in NSW last year.

I am sure the other States have people with them to, but the numbers are low.

In my opinion it isn't that hard to tell the difference between them and stimmies, when you see them in the flesh.

Hope you manage to pursuede CALM to allow limited collecting of the species.

Neil

It's not hard to tell the difference, I agree. But there are people who have caught them and written them in...

The Perthensis that have been sold in the Eastern States have gone for a massive $1300 ea. This however should drop as they become more available. Unfortunately, they only have small clutches so it will take some time to establish good colonies.

I had the chance to buy an adult male earlier this year, i was told it was 5yrs+...the owner wanted $1000 for it.
The only reason i didn't buy it was the fact that i would of had little or no chance of finding a female.
This was a NSW keeper.

If they do go on the list we will be establishing a large colony. They are so varied in their patterns and colouring. Finding them can sometimes be a challenge. I have seen them in the branches of small shrubs about a meter high. The only reason i noticed them was that each time i stood near the bush it struck my leg. Awesome little pythons.

Womas,
Are you and other collectors petitioning CALM to have them on the list?
What's the likelyhood of it happening?

Keep me informed, you have my email.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, there is now a commitee and they are trying to get more species added to the list. The pilbara rock monitor ( varanus pilbarensis ) is another. We do still have your email so will definately let you know if it happens. There are also a large number of imbricata being kept as breeding animals now too. this year should see alot more available to all with even more available the following year. Westaussie is a good imbricata contact.

pilbarensis you say? Hmmmmmmmmm cant wait. If they are put on the list, how much would they be worth (both WC and eventually CB). PM me if necessary.

No idea mate. I havn't thought that far into it. Others i have spoken to believe LOTS to be the figure. As soon as they are on the list the prices would be out, but untill then hard to guess. Not being a monitor person $5 would suit me. Dont think many others in the game over here would agree though

Thanks mate.. Keep us informed ;)

At 5 bucks each Ill take one hundred pairs :D

I was thinking 1k+ for CB hatchies

cant wait for pilbarenisis, ive only seen pics but they look good

I wonder if they'll go for the same price as V. glauerti??

They look better in the flesh. I have a spot where i regularly see them. Very quick little buggers though. You need to be part rock wallaby to chase any down where i find them. they do appear to grow larger than the books say. I would estimate one i have seen to be about 60 cm. but as always there are bigger than average specimens in all species

hugsta said:
I wonder if they'll go for the same price as V. glauerti??

How much do Varanus glauerti sell for? Ive never seen them for sale. Ive been trying to get my hands on them for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back