Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But any penetration of the skin, muscle and other tissues can have the potential of bacterial infections, all i'm saying is to be smart about it all.
If its a superficial wound a general clean of the area is fine, if its alot deeper you have to clean it better and maintain the clenliness of the site.
Prevention is always beter.

I agree that 1/2 the human population is far to paranoid the other 1/2 is far to casual about it all.

I am new to this forum and new to the world of snakes. We got a Qld Carpet on Thursday, he is 6 months old and 50 cm long. On Friday afternoon I was holding him to show the kids and one of the kids went to pat him. This spooked him and he went to strike her but I moved my hand back and he got me on the top of my middle finger. It didn't bleed much or hurt, but then again, he is only a small snake. He is getting more frindly each time we got him out. At the moment he likes to stay hidden, but I would say this is due to the new souroundings. We will see how things go in a few days when we feed him for our first time.

Well, I blame whoever started this thread! ;) I'm pretty sure I put a post under it earlier today saying I hadn't been bitten by any largish snakes for quite a while, because I've been more careful... well, about 15 mins ago I took a snap from a male carpet, about 7ft in length. The bite was to the base of my left index finger, suprisingly painful and a fair bit of blood. I've never photographed bites before (although I sort of wish I had now that I think about it, because in the past I've had some real beauties, but because of this thread I grabbed the camera and took a couple of shots. I've stuck them up in my gallery. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get the main area of punctures, which was on the left side of the base of the finger, but you get the idea. The bite is now swollen and blue with red punctures, I can't move the finger without causing a lot of pain and will probably not be able to use it for a day or two.

How do I put a link here to the pics?

Use the main post page (press the "postReply" button), add some text then press the "add attachment" button. the page will refresh and you get a "choose" button (don't you just love this design). this will let you select an image from your hard drive. NOTE : image cannot be wider than 800 pixels or higher than 600 pixels. Press submit. Have a beer.

Sounds complicated :)
Especially when you're typing with one hand! ;)

So what did you do to deserve that beuty? Is he an overly cranky snake?

Fuscus said:
Use the main post page (press the "postReply" button), add some text then press the "add attachment" button. the page will refresh and you get a "choose" button (don't you just love this design). this will let you select an image from your hard drive. NOTE : image cannot be wider than 800 pixels or higher than 600 pixels. Press submit. Have a beer.

OR, just forget the first bit and have that beer :)

So what did you do to deserve that beuty? Is he an overly cranky snake?

Nah, he is a really lovely natured snake. He was courting the female and so I thought I'd take him out before feeding her. I was stupid enough to rely on the fact that males usually don't show a feeding response during breeding season if they're sexually active. He let go after just a second or two though, without needing any convincing, obviously realising that he'd grabbed me and not a rat. I've found that some of my snakes are able to tell the difference between people and rat after biting them in a scent motivated feeding attack, while others are stupid and try to kill your arm as if it's a rat.

Hehe, yeah, I get dozens of bites almost every day that don't leave marks or hurt :) I start getting careful with snakes about 2.5 ft in length.

Sorry Sdaji. Didn't mean to put the mockers on you! :) Good photo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back