Renting with a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoodsNSnakes

Reaction score
I'm looking to rent and I'm hoping to bring a snake (childrens python) with me. preferably my T too but a family member is willing to take it in if I can't. Currently still looking for a place to stay and there seems to be a limited amount of pet friendly housing. The apartment building I am looking at does allow cats and dogs but I am not sure if my landlord would allow pets.

I'm wondering for those of you who rent, did you tell your landlords and if so, how did you convince them?

I'm looking to rent and I'm hoping to bring a snake (childrens python) with me. preferably my T too but a family member is willing to take it in if I can't. Currently still looking for a place to stay and there seems to be a limited amount of pet friendly housing. The apartment building I am looking at does allow cats and dogs but I am not sure if my landlord would allow pets.

I'm wondering for those of you who rent, did you tell your landlords and if so, how did you convince them?
I’m currently renting in NSW. I didn’t bother including reptiles on my application as its not necessary and could impact your chance of getting accepted. They may not like reptiles, but there’s no need to notify landlord of them. They’re encased in an enclosure so they’re a “Display”, same think as fish tanks. Had inspections with no issues, spoken to the property manager as well and they confirmed everything I already knew.

Best to not tell them, then just let them see it when you have an inspection down the track, if they say anything stress to them wildlife license and it's regulated by them.

Best to not tell them, then just let them see it when you have an inspection down the track, if they say anything stress to them wildlife license and it's regulated by them.
I was thinking maybe even hiding them during inspection, shouldn’t be too hard to hide a small snake 🤔.

I wouldn’t go down the pathway of not disclosing it and hoping for the best. NSW is pretty ****ty with rental rules. If the homeowner finds that you’re keeping an animal on a no animal agreement, they have every right to evict you.

The best course of action would be to speak to the agent/owner and explain that reptiles never come out of their enclosure (regardless of the truth), make no mess, and require a government approved license

Why not tell the landlord you have a snake.
Snakes have many advantages as a pet in a rental property. They are totally unable to damage the property at all. The only damage they can do is poop somewhere. And it is mostly odorless and dry and only once a month(?), unlike cats, birds and dogs that can scratch the carpet, chew furniture, make big messes etc. And they poop daily.

The only problem is snakes have an amazing ability to find a place to have hide and have a snooze. That you might not find for days.

Snakes are very landlord friendly. And I asked my estate agent how many of her renters have snake as pets, she said "about a third have snakes."
Landlords like it when you have pets, things or items that are unable to damage the property.

Back