Should (and if so how do) you clean your snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbull001

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of months and finally ventured into the world of keeping a snake with the purchase of a juvenile Murray Darling Carpet Python over the weekend. My kids are in seventh heaven after saving their money and wanting one for over six month now, but with research, getting a license, sourcing a decent enclosure, reputable supplier etc. etc. it's taken quite a while to get here.

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that it has gone well so far -- he seems to have settled well into his enclosure, coming out at night to explore, climb the branches, bath etc. and last night fed on the first attempt, taking a fuzzy mouse.

Herein lies the root of my first question! I think when I defrosted the mouse, I over did it a bit and when I squished it to see if it was thawed through, the guts "burst" out. I figured this wouldn't stop the snake taking the mouse and might even help (heavily scented) and proceeded to feed him anyway.

I didn't think ahead, of course the python immediately wrapped himself around the mouse and continued to further squeeze it's guts out, presumably all over itself.

A little later in the evening (last night) he proceeded to soak himself in his water bowl which I'll change this evening.

So my questions are:

1. Do you need to clean your snake?
  2. If so how?
  3. Is it sufficient that he soaks himself in the water every now and then.
All advice appreciated.

Thanks

You don't need to clean your snake as each time it sheds it gets a fresh, clean skin. However, when something as you describe happens, you can simply wipe the snake down with a damp paper towel or something similar.

Call me stupid or crazy, but I just find it easier to put my Diamond in the shower and let her think it is raining for a quick clean.

@schlumpe I like that idea too, but he's so small at the moment I'll lose him down the plug hole! But I'll keep it in mind once he gets some size. Not sure my wife would like it much though :)

I usually would put my 7ftr on the outdoor chair at the yard n shower her with the garden hose..n let her bask there for a bit n wipe her down... :)
Same goes for the smaller ones, they seem to love it too..

Wow really?! I would love to bring my spotted into the shower if he wouldn't mind, what fun! I already wash my dog in the shower with me (she is 2kg)

Do you need to clean your snake?
only when they need it

If so how?
have a spare click clack with holes in the lid and 1/4 fill it with warm 30c water and let it swim for 10 min.

Is it sufficient that he soaks himself in the water every now and then.
they'll do this if they are going to shed,too hot or have mites.

Our python soaks himself every time he has a feed - almost like he's trying to soften the skin that has stretched or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back