Snakes that look like Vipers but are not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon1980

Not so new Member
Reaction score
697173_f520.jpg

I have had Viper boas before
090_1024x768.jpg

They were interesting

Is the only Australian snake that looks like a Viper, a death adder?
Barkley%20Adder%20rezie%20full.jpg

Cheers

L

G'day Leon,

Death Adders are the most morphologically similar Australian elapids to vipers. We have a few species that are similar to Death Adders too, such as Echiopsis curta and the two Denisonia's.

Cheers

pit viper! well spotted.
I love the viper physiology, but not the lethal bite!

Hmmm
Bardicks don't really do it for me
Looks like I am getting some death adders.
I do miss my copperheads though. A lot. These were great fun and cheap (compared to corn snakes and boas) in the Euro market.
copperheadnkh.jpg

Viperine snake (Natrix maura)
natrix-maura-1763.jpg

natrix-maura--natrix_maura.jpg

Asp Viper (Vipera aspis)
Photo.Asp_viper_Vipère_aspic_vipera_aspis.France.jpg

Both snakes occur within the same ranges.

Death Adders are definitely Australia's most viperine snake, but as Jonno says, Bardicks are also very viperine. I didn't have any idea just how much until I saw my first Bardick in the flesh, and I was utterly astounded by how much they reminded me of arboreal vipers. Very, very cool little snakes. They're no Death Adder, of course! In the early days there was actually speculation that Death Adders were true vipers.

Natrix maura is a viperine water snake of the genus Natrix. The viperine snake is found in rivers and lakes in south western Europe and it also lives in north western Africa. This non-venomous, semi-aquatic, fish-eating snake was given its name due to behavioural and aesthetic similarities with sympatric adder species.

bollocks!

Natrix maura is a viperine water snake of the genus Natrix. The viperine snake is found in rivers and lakes in south western Europe and it also lives in north western Africa. This non-venomous, semi-aquatic, fish-eating snake was given its name due to behavioural and aesthetic similarities with sympatric adder species.

bollocks!

Used to catch them in France when I was a kid. It was fine catching them when they were down by the river or in it but you had to be careful when looking for them in the dry stone walls along the roadside as that was the area they shared with the Asps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back