Some help please...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone_Feral

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Met this little fella today, but not quite sure about his species...he's a Ctenophorus, but which one?
Possibly a Spotted Military Dragon (maculatus)????

P2250068.jpg

Was it found in porongorup? I would say your probably right with C maculatus, theyare a highly variable species and genus and often for clear ID you need to examine them in hand. Someone with more experience may be able to clarify it better. I didn't think they were keen on leaving the ground either.

Dirt looks like the mid west, Paynes Find- Magnet sort of area. Looks like a Western Netted (Ctenophorus reticulatus) to me.

Funny, Im 99% sure it is. How many have you caught and photographed in the area? Its sure as hell not a mac anyway, they like it sandy not stony. The dirt in the pic looks like typical Mulga woodland out through the midwest where reticulatus are common. Other species in the area are C nuchalis, C scutullatus, P minor, C caudicinctus, C ornatus and Caimanops......its none of the others. Animal in the shot has typical short blocky head and short tail of reticulatus, remember colour and pattern varies between the sexes.

Sorry, should have said, this was at Black Swan Nickel mine, NE of Kalgoorlie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back