South African in herp-less New Zealand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually team, prettty sure there are snakes in New zealand.

There are a couple of native flowerpot species from memory.

And other than that the pet industry in new zealand certainly caters for them hmmmm...

What 'flowerpot' species are you talking about?

Snake lillies???

I assume you believe there's snakes in NZ in the pet industry and are illegal residents there.

I don't doubt it - but I do doubt they could survive in the wild anyway. Which is probably why we have blue tongues etc in NZ. But... if the crunch came to the crunch - perhaps a diamond python could survive, maybe even some tiger snakes.... It would be good for the ferret, rat, stoat, rabbit population, maybe even a few possums - but my guess is it would decimate the bird life of the country.

Would be an interesting experiment to do :p

What 'flowerpot' species are you talking about?

Snake lillies???

Yeah good to see that someone got the pun.

Actually there was a eastern brown found there not long ago. But the pet industry, yeah, they have much the same problems as us.

Actually there was a eastern brown found there not long ago..

You for serious?

Crikey!!!

There'd be no antivenin in NZ either (would there?).

I would prefer to meet an EB here in Oz than in NZ where you'd be laughed at, no identification possible etc etc...

Are you sure this occurred? Absolutely positive that a living EB was found in NZ?

I recall in the 90s a snake skin was found in Auckland - and there was pretty much a shut down in the central city - till someone confessed it was part of a fancy dress costume.

I know my daighter wanted to take a snake skin back to NZ with her (from one of my snakes) I had to explain why she couldn't (I'm such a meanie).

just to add...
Whoa - look at these beauties...

northgreenfwz3mar2001a03.jpg

lores_greengecko_3951.jpg

harlequin-gecko-223.jpg

and check out:

http://www.nhc.net.nz/index/lizards-new-zealand/lizards.htm (very interesting)

sorry i was wrong with the 200 species - it's 80 but that's stil the largest diverse range in a temperate region :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/kawekaweau (also interesting - the world's largest, now extinct, gecko!)
awesome gecko!

Only snakes "native" to NZ would be those in the ocean.

Certainly some nice Geckos and skinks.. and those Tuatara
but slim.. not dragons or even classified as "lizards".

Only snakes "native" to NZ would be those in the ocean.

Certainly some nice Geckos and skinks.. and those Tuatara
but slim.. not dragons or even classified as "lizards".

Yeah - I know they're nto dragons.... but they're not salamanders either hehe... they're too unique - so I just do my own labelling system when it gets all to hard.

Would be cool to own a tuatara - but with only 50,000 remaining - they won't be on the pet market in the next few years.

They're very very susceptible to climate change - so I guess even more unlikely with the possibility of that looming.

Yeah slim, not going to see the pet market anytime soon given the time
it takes to even reach sexual maturity.

Pretty amazing animals to see in the flesh, photos don't do them justice.

When I was still in NZ, there was a cobra head found in Hawkes Bay....
So stupid to keep a venomous snake in a country that has none, let alone no anti-venom.
Also when I lived in Tauranga, there was a ringneck snake found in a bunch of flowers in a shop at The Mount.

But I have to disagree with you Slim6y, I think some snakes could survive alright, especially tigers and copperheads that can stand the colder climate, plenty of food for them, summer around north of Auckland sits around 26-27 degrees, and winter isn't as cold as Tasmania! get the odd light frost over night, but no snow!
But then again, the South Island has some of the hottest temps in NZ, and coldest in winter, some places can get 40*c in summer, but then snows in winter. I used to live in Alexandra, bottom of the S. Island, and averaged around 30*c, few places along the East Coast of the North Island can get around 35*c, with plenty of food, minimal preditors (probably only the Harrier Hawk)
And as for Sea Snakes, only 1 that I know of has been found alive. They are occasionally washed up dead on beaches, cant stand the water temp, even in summer its around 19 degrees, and thats around Auckland, Further north I dont think it changes much, maybe by a degree.

some awesome fishing :) god - I miss blue cod and real snapper! Shame it's not imported here.

Ooh hell yea, thats the biggest down side to Australia, Iv watched heaps of fishing programmes here, and the things they catch we would use as live bait in NZ, and they get all excited over these pathetic little fish... Sorry lol.
Miss the Kingfish, Snapper, a big Kahawai is a bit of fun too, out up a good fight, and great for live baiting for Kingies.
Also the groper. Oh also the trout!
Love spending the day on the river or lake fly fishing for some good Browns or Rainbow Trout.

Heres a baby snapper, only 20 pounder, lost a few goodies that day.:D
2085751711a6145772920l.jpg

You for serious?

Crikey!!!

QUOTE]

This isnt the article i remember reading
http://forests.org/archive/spacific/nzsnfree.htm

But this points to a eastern small eye.

But the brown snake article i remember reading was found dead, or found and then dead.

The funny yet ignorant thing is this from their greens member
http://www.greens.org.nz/node/10174

Such ignorant stupidity.

Actually something else that i have just found amazing is the whole debarcle with the savanah cat issue. The fact that it was actually the environment minister himself - Garret - that was the one who was trying to get the legalisation for the savanah cat, thankfully that got jammed up.

Thanks for that slothhead - very interesting read. But looks like border control was working (or has it let a few slip in?).

So maybe some antivenin is needed in NZ for a range of Aussie snakes... Even then I don't think you'll survive if it was an EB - the time it would take to even identify it would be arduous enough!

I recall a few years ago a gentleman was stung byu a scorpion at Auckland International Airport - apparently it came from someone's luggage and had accidentally hitched a ride. NZ is scorpion free (maybe).

I agree with part of your comments about the ignorance of the green leader - but at the same time she's right... It would change the way NZers do things just like it has in Guam which was snake free up until the 40s!!!

I agree with part of your comments about the ignorance of the green leader - but at the same time she's right... It would change the way NZers do things just like it has in Guam which was snake free up until the 40s!!!

The bit i was refering to with the greens leader is the part regarding pbulic scare mongering of - no child will be safe going into the bush again if there are snakes. (paraphrased)

I dont know about you but i am just scared to death of going outside at all. Every time i step out i am attacked by every venomous animal we have.

Even those Koala "bears" have been attacking me lately.

Id say she's never left the country SlothHead, iv met lot of people like that, never left the country, never will, even for a holiday, its too scary lol.

I can actually understand where she is coming from if you grow up in a environment void of
venomous or even dangerous creatures.

As a kid it was always drilled into me to take precautions in the bush in an effort to avoid
being bitten by snake, enclosed foot wear, always carrying a torch at night .. etc etc..

I imagine such consideration isn't needed to be drummed into New Zealand little kiwis
venomous creatures wouldn't be a topic of concern when in the bush for them.

I think if a similar situation was put on Australia with a totally unfamiliar dangerous animal
potentially taking up residents in the Australian bush the fear would be the same..
everyone here is pretty use to the potential to encounter a dangerously venomous animal
while spending time in the bush, but imagine if for example a large predator like a large
dangerous cat species was running wild in the bush here, it would be a threat totally
unfamiliar to most Australians.

I know when ive been overseas there was something slightly unsettling about spending time
in known cougar habitat..
The people locale to that area were used to it, and didnt think much of it and thought i was silly
for even thinking of it - yet they would still mention how they thought Australia would be too dangerous
for them to visit (even though they have some fairly venomous species of snake themselves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back