Stick Insects

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsidasa

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Someone has recently brought my attention to the wonderful world of perhaps getting a stick insect.
I found this information which i thought was really interesting.
"Entomologists who observe insect behaviour confirm that stick insects do exhibit behavioural traits that support the view that they do experience fear, stress and grief. An example of grief is when a pair of adult New Guinea stick insects that have been particularly close, living together as adults for a year, and then one dies. In these situations, when one dies (of old age) the surviving stick insect not only stays with the other stick insect as it dies, gently touching it, but remains with the corpse for a few days afterwards. Sometimes the survivor refuses to eat or drink and dies as well. This behaviour is not seen with New Guinea stick insects that are not in close bonds. So, as stick insects are sentient, they can experience suffering. Crickets and locusts can be regarded as similar to stick insects both in design and evolutionary terms and so it seems logical that they too could be sentient."

I was wondering if anyone had some more photos and information for me =)
I'm mainly interested in extatosoma tiaratum.

Some q's i have are
Is it legal to keep these guys all over australia?
and
Does anyone know where in WA i can go meet some extatosoma tiaratum to decide if i like being around them or not.

I doubt you could get any exotic species but their would be heaps of species here, there or atleast 3 speices around brisbane so i would assume there would be a few around your area. There are also native speicies available captive bred but not sure if you can import them.

i believe its illegal to keep inverts in WA, i have heard people getting raided over them

i believe its illegal to keep inverts in WA, i have heard people getting raided over them

Can anyone confirm this? I've kept crazy crabs they're in all the shops, but i haven't seen insects i don't believe. I don't see as how they can enforce it, they sell bugcatchers in toy shops :-|
Or do you mean exotic species?? because that i could understand

Last edited:
I doubt you could get any exotic species but their would be heaps of species here, there or atleast 3 speices around brisbane so i would assume there would be a few around your area. There are also native speicies available captive bred but not sure if you can import them.

The species i am interested in is "extatosoma tiaratum" and they are native to Australia and WA

mayb its just native inverts that are a no no, i know people thathave been busted for keeping scorps or spiders, email calm, you dont wanna do it then lose everything coz you didnt check

mayb its just native inverts that are a no no, i know people thathave been busted for keeping scorps or spiders, email calm, you dont wanna do it then lose everything coz you didnt check
for sure, already sent an email off =) thanks

The thing that makes me wonder about it though is you can keep crickets and roaches and things to feed your reptiles, so it would be weird to just put a "no stick insect law" in place.

Last edited:
One of my adult girls

Attachments

• DSCF7514 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF7514 (Medium).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF7518 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF7518 (Medium).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF7523 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF7523 (Medium).JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF7532 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF7532 (Medium).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 71
Baby photos. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0145 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0145 (Medium).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN1755cr (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1755cr (Medium).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1866 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1866 (Medium).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 139
Awwww they so cute! I cant wait for my eggs to hatch!

Awwww they so cute! I cant wait for my eggs to hatch!

Some of them take ages, my friend got some eggs and forgot about them then nearly 2 years later he found little insects had just hatched.

bad luck jen, insects are not legally allowed to be kept as pets in W.A.
I have to introduce you to a friend of mine. David Knowles runs "Spineless Wonders" and he has some cool bugs. (even more than I keep in my hair)

hey i used to keep stick insects as a kid and i cant remember the guys site i got it off can anyone tell me any good breeder in nsw
thanks

W.A. funny place thay can rip the gut,s out of the earth and sell it to china for a few dollars and mostly likely kill lot,s of creatures in the process but you can,t keep any, stick insects and most other things or look after them i,m glad it,s over there it,s a joke

I would just keep some loacally native species and say your just about to spray them if the nature pricks come nocking ;) no laws against killing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back