Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan92

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a stimsons python and he's about a year and a half old. He has always been extremely placid up until about 3 days ago. When I go to get him out all he does is strike at me, then I close his tank and he strikes at the glass.
I don't know why he would be doing this all of a sudden! Any help would be muchly appreciated :) and any advice on what to do!

All the usual questions, haha :p

Moved his enclosure or changed around its contents recently?
Coming up for a shed?
All his temps ok?
Any pets peering into his enclosure often (cats)? ^_^
Any recent changes at all that you can think of?

I know you've probably considered most of these things, but I'll ask in case it jogs the memory.

Changes in behaviour are invariably due to something. In this case I can only think of one of two factors. The first is that something in the environmental conditions under which the snake has been maintained has altered. The second is that the snake has reached sexual maturity.

Blue

Im with Blue on this one. Stimsons reach sexual maturity very early. Depending on the size of your python it could very well be hormones causing the change. Sadly all my pythons that had the change never calmed down again. Ive never seen a stimson become agressive but its not unheard of.

My stimsons are still placid as and they are the same age as yours! Just give him a couple of days to chill out and try again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ive never heard of sexual maturity turning them nasty before, could that be why one of my female bredli became an utter bitch at around 4 years old?

it would make more sense in my situation than 'shes hungry, feed her more' that i kept reading, she gets fed the same as the others.

i ended up being too scared to put her flatmate back in earlier this year cos her body language was all wrong, its gotten to the point where i offer her a jumper to smash and wrap around so her mouths full when i need to go there,.. :) bugger if shes not planning on calming down!!

Perhaps try and make him feel more secure by darkening the room and perhaps give him a nice big feed.

Another reason to not listen to anyone who claims that their snake that they sold will NEVER BITE. As I have heard so many say. It is utter rubbish.

hahaha yeah they never bite*

*snake was not handled by humans in any way.

Another reason to not listen to anyone who claims that their snake that they sold will NEVER BITE. As I have heard so many say. It is utter rubbish.

Too true, my spotted python came with the *never bite story* but of course I didnt believe it, they are still wild animals, stuff happens etc etc but you still love them for who and what they are. (Of course afterwards they told me that the male had been bitten by her. Yes she is moody and has bitten me once but I still love her and wouldnt get rid of her if someone wanted to swap me for 3 GTP's, highly highly unlikely of course but just saying :lol:

hahaha yeah they never bite*

*snake was not handled by humans in any way.

Ha ha, love this one.

Anyway as people have said, it depends on environment etc

:shock:

I hope that doesn't happen with Womas, does it? *******:|

It can happen with all snakes. Both of my bredlis went crazy at the age of 4. My bhps anfd stimsons on the other hand are gentle and interactive even during the breeding seasons. Maybe its the level of hormones produced by an individual or maybe its just the individual.

Yeah well I have covered his tank and left him in my room, undisturbed.
Hes about 80cm long or so, give or take a few. I never said he never tried biting me?
But I haven't changed anything in his enclosure. The only thing that has changed is that the weather has gotten a fair bit colder. But his tank is still at good temps. I could try feeding him and leaving him alone for a week or do and try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back