Substrate for outdoor enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan dragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had this custom outdoor bearded dragon enclosure made and I'm hoping to keep my dragon out here permanently once he's used to it. I'm struggling to know what soil to put in the bottom though. Does anyone have a bearded dragon that is thriving in an outdoor enclosure? I obviously want to plant edible leafy greens for him as well as edible natives but I'm also wanting to add a clean up crew and I'm wanting him to be able to dig and tunnel.

I'm thinking 1 part coir to 2 parts sand with some bentonite1000002334.jpg clay mixed in but I don't know how well that will work for the plants and I don't know if it's safe for the lizard?

bentonite clay is used for face masks etc. Also used in mining as a drilling fluid. It is not a health hazard except for pregnant women so should be safe enough for your dragon and wont affect your plants. Dandelion and nasturtium are good plants that are edible and easily grown, leaves and flowers are favourites. Beardies also like clover, I don't know how you'd go growing that

Latest posts

Back