Suddenly Agressive Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gardinator

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem. I own a southwestern carpet python and he is just over a year old has always been quite an agitated snake but has only ever bitten me once, i fed him last Thursday and usually i wont handle him for 2-3 days after he has eaten its been almost a week since his feed and i got him out 2 days ago and he wasnt very friendly about it and the whole time he was out he just wanted to constrict my hand. He has never done that before normally hes quite keen to explore and have a look around, about 5 minutes ago i thought i would get him out and as i was doing so i touched him and he moved away really fast and turned his head to strike which isn't very normal of him normally he will just try n get away not very fast tho. So i thought id just try n grab from behind him and the same thing happened but he striked and missed me then he saw his own tail moved and striked at that and he did get him self luckily he seems to be ok. Im just wondering what is with this all of a sudden aggressiveness ? and will he calm down and relax again because he is not normally like this at all.

sounds like he's hungry. When a warm thing comes it normally means food. I use a hook with all my snakes. Hook = touch and warm thing = food. I have not been bitten yet with this method

Could he be about to shed? I have a diamond that is the most peaceful thing, however when he's about to shed it's best to let him be because he gets agitated.

I fed he a decent size rat not even a week ago so I don't think he would be hungry, I used to get him out with a hook but he became that friendly I could get him out with my bare hands so I've been doing that for quite a while now so I don't kno why all of a sudden he would be funny about that.

He doesn't look like he is going to shed he's eyes arnt milky and he isn't looking very dull or anything and his last shed wasn't too long ago. What I've been thinking is maybe he is still digesting and is just getting annoyed because he wants to be left alone to do so. That's what I hope anyways lol I really don't want him to be one of those snakes u can look at but can't touch, he's the 1st snake u brought so he's my baby haha

Even tho its the 1st time he has ever been like this and I've fed him
More then 50 times, and always handle him 3 days after his feed and he's fine and it's been 6 or 7 days after and he's cranky as !

Could he be about to shed? I have a diamond that is the most peaceful thing, however when he's about to shed it's best to let him be because he gets agitated.

agreed, mine do the same when they r about to shed but fine after

One of my south western carpets acts like that. You learn to read when they are happy to be handled and when they are not. I've found taking it out side with a hook and letting it cruise aroung generally gets it out of feeding mode and I can pick it up. For some reason this particular SWCP is always hungry and constricts/bites when it's not in the mood to be handled.

It could be a one off thing. Snakes can be like us and get into moods. Most of the time they are pretty relaxed and are ok with being handled and sometimes they just don't want to know about it! Its just up to us to learn the signs when our babies are in moods and when they aren't :)

The size of the good size rat could be important

it may seem plenty to you but just a teaser for him

Id up the food size and see what happens

Ahh ok well I'll leave him for a couple more days then try get him out see if he has settled. Thanks for the suggestions

Just on the issue of shedding besides the obvious signs are there any other ways they you can tell and when the shedding process does begin nature takes it course I assume????

Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back