Think turtle just laid eggs what do I do??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanne4

Reaction score
Yesterday I put my turtle outside because I was thinking she may be about to lay eggs and just now I checked on her and she was scraping dirt under her with he back legs and like banging up and down on the ground like she was covering something up. So I am thining she may have just laid eggs. My question is do I look? Or do I just leave them? Or do I look and if there are some there do I buy an incubator and look after them?

If you don't have an incubator then leave them there.

How far down do they lay their eggs cause I think the dirt is only about 10cm deep. Also can I look to see if there are eggs or could this damage them?

That is definitely nesting behaviour....like Mr Bredli said best to leave them alone if you don't have an incubator, they will be about 9 -10cm down. Just try and protect the area from rats etc.
Allan

If you can put some type of wire cage over the top so that dogs and cats can not dig through. Also this will allow you to see when they hatch and how many you have.

Well I just had a little look and I saw an egg it was only about 3cm down and where they are they are going to have full sun on them all day so I am worried that they may cook if I leave them there. Also next door has like 9 cats which are always in our yard so today I am going to try and find an incubator to buy, wish me luck J

I don't think they would "cook", the incubation temperature is about 29 degrees.
However if you are going to get an incubator, set it up first for a day to get the temperature stabilised. Then get the eggs, carefully marking the top of each one with a marker pen. Don't turn them. Keep that mark at the top when you put them in the moistened vermiculite in the incubator. Good luck.
BTW I sell incubators, see my website http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/incubators.htm
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back