Thorny Devil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to sydney wildlife world for the sole reason to see the thorny devils but when i got there they had the enclosure covered up i was like ARGH!!!!

Sounds weird, surely there is a supplement you could give them??? Don't they do the same thing with echidnas? Anyway, cool looking animals, I love how they take in water through their feet! :D VERY COOL!

sort the same but the echidnas use the nuzzle their snout into the ant mounds and then the ants appear. then they eat.:)
I WANT TO KNOW HAS ANY EVER HELD A THORNY DEVIL AND IF THERE SPIKEY?
WHAT IS SPIKEYER THORNY DEVIL OR AN ECHIDA?

echidna's are spikey, thorny devils havesoft spines, also dont post in caps, its annoying, alice springs desert park cannot sell to public, if you do find a breeder expect to pay $3000-$4000 possibly more

no they will only eat ants, and the ones at wildlife world weren't coping with public life.

they have now settled and are on display.

yup, only ants, but not only one species, the prefer the genus iridiomyrmex but will take any species of small dark trail forming ant

i think the larger spines are soft but the smaller tubercles i think are like beardie spines, also i have heard of them beaing fed termites, roaches, mealworms and crickets from hatching but the longest survivours lasting 1 year, could it be the formic acid in the ants that the devils need?

saw a single thorny devil on display at syd wildlife world on friday night- very active and fantastic to see - my first look at one in person. walked around like 'roboreptile'. no ants in sight.

I've held a thorny devil, and they have soft spines, like a beardie.

sort the same but the echidnas use the nuzzle their snout into the ant mounds and then the ants appear. then they eat.:)
I WANT TO KNOW HAS ANY EVER HELD A THORNY DEVIL AND IF THERE SPIKEY?
WHAT IS SPIKEYER THORNY DEVIL OR AN ECHIDA?

an echidna by far!!! thorny devils look tough but arent, theyre spikes are quite rubbery....

i knwo this because i used to touch them all the time... i lived at ayers rock for a while and i used to move them off the roads up there on a daily basis....

I have seen at least 3 threads on APS with people claiming to have thorny devils:rolleyes:

Donk

i know we could all move to ayers rock and just sit there and watch them all day, that would kinda be like owning one.... hmmmm i wonder if i could run away from home and move their, or maybe convince my parents to go to ayres rock instead of queensland in december.... hmmmm.
would love to own one they look so cooll

I have seen at least 3 threads on APS with people claiming to have thorny devils:rolleyes:

Donk

Im sure some people do own them,
but the thing is are they being legally kept....cos if your in the right area its not to hard to catch, find an ant trail and youll find one soon enough....and besides, its not an animal known for its speed to escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back