Thorny Devil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know a breeder but you need a class 2 lic in NSW and need a few thousand black ants a day to feed them, and not just any species of black ant.

Kane

ppl do breed them, dunno who but. They need alot of ants but breeding ants wouldnt require a phd :lol:
If you dont have experience keeping lizrds i wouldnt bother about it as it would be a really expensive way to learn the hard way. If you know what you are doing go for it.

I have heard of people breeding them - but as everyone has said, good luck getting enough ants ;)

thanx guys just wanted to get some knowledge about them thought a breeder could help but thanx everyone for the quick replys

alice spring reptile center bred them, as of my knowledge last winter previouse summer..

they only keep them as they has several ant nests on there location.. DAILY they take each thorny out sit and watch it ast a trail of ants as it slowely licks up these ants.. *rolls eyes* by the thousand a day... and only a particular species..

they are ALOT of work, and time, and most probably, money...

theyre cute, but not worth the time IMO.. as they would only be display animals, and they wouldtn bond easily as a bluey or beardie..

i cant see whats so hard about breeding ants they seem to breed pretty well around my house atm lol

yeah i think alice springs reptile park is the only place that has had some decent breedin.....
but whats good with them is they can just go out the back and gettin a thousand ants in 1 hit....
but also i think the ones that bred were in outside enclosures....so it wasnt really captive conditions....i coould be wrong

i remember their thorny devil display at asrp,it kind of goes around the corners of the fence probably covers 5-10 metres.. and had several devils in there,i didn't notice the ants but they were on red sand

There's two facilities in Alice Springs with Molochs - Tne Alice Springs Desert Park, on the outskirts of town, and a Reptiles only facility in Alice Springs itself. The Desert Park has bred them several times both indoor and outdoors.

To feed them outdoors they just put some honey on the ground in the enclosure, and then they wait a few minutes.

To feed the ones indoors they get a piece of old termite mound, drizzle honey through it, wait until the ants are all through it, then put it in the Moloch's tank.

:p

Hix

Reptiles Australia Magazine Volume 2 Issue 5 has an article about the husbandry of the Moloch horridus. A great read if you are interested.

yeah thats an interesting but simple technique to get food....but wouldnt the ants get stuck in the honey, and dont thornys need moving prey?

I believe they don't run into the honey, but stop at the edge, collect some and take it back to the nest. And that alerts the nest to where there's a big high-sugary food source waiting for them.

:p

Hix

Sounds weird, surely there is a supplement you could give them??? Don't they do the same thing with echidnas? Anyway, cool looking animals, I love how they take in water through their feet! :D VERY COOL!

they have some at sydney wildlife world with ants crawling arourd the enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back