Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childreni_440

Reaction score
I know I know it sounds silly but i was faced with this question today and i could not anwser and was hoping someone on here would know the anwser.

I think SW Carpets are from WA (M.s.imbricita) .... Please correct me if I'm wrong ....

morelia spilota imbricata just another sub species of carpet.

Re: RE: What are South West Carpet Pythons?

BROWNS said:
morelia spilota imbricata just another sub species of carpet.

thats well nearly exactly wat i was thinking jesus i am learning quikly i love this lol

beno

RE: Re: RE: What are South West Carpet Pythons?

thanks for the sugestion i was leaning that way myself.

i dont know but when i talked to rocky reptiles they were selling hatiches for $1200 but that was a fear few few months ago.. but they had none at the time i call.

Rocky reptiles are reluctant to deal interstate, they prefer to sell within WA.
It is a shame really, as I want Imbricata and was willing to pay their high prices.

Imbricata in my opinion are one of the most overrated python that we have here. Compared to all the other carpets they seem so unattractive for their price. I guess after having heaps of nice jungles and other carpets for years I have become some what spoilt and I realise that here in W.A if you want a carpet then imbricata is the only one we can have. It seems almost trendy over here to own a carpet python and is hard to convince the uninitiated that there are better looking snakes. But then again each to their own.
Cheers Dave

Agreed Dave,i think they're a pretty ordinary carpet myself,some have interesting patterns though,but as you say it's personal taste!

$1200 is madness to me for any carpet hatchie,especiallyan imbricata,they come up now and then on the herptrader and other places...

Morelia spilota imbricata is the sub-species of python found in the south-west corner of WA and also has patchy populations along the southern seaboard right to Port Lincon in SA ( Only a few hundred kilometers west of Adelaide ). It often has a black stripe running along its belly. There is also a dwarf form from St. Francis Island ( near Ceduna ) where the male only reaches 1.2 meters. I've had the privilege of holding a St. Francis ( As far as I know, it is the only one in captivity ), it was a very tame animal, and I'm sure that there would be a market for dwarf carpets if a captive population was established.

Carpets (imbricata) can vary quite a lot, and I have seen my share of wild carpets. Most captive bred, south-west carpets are originally bred from the hills form, Which in my opinion are not all that special looking. So too the goldfeilds form I think are rather plain. Animals from the swan coastal plain in my opinion can be quite stunning. (But each to their own).

Well here is a pic of one of my coastal form imbricata. (Not the best of pics, but I will take some better shots when I get time )

Well, i must say that i love the look of that imbricata!!!
Do you have many from the Swan Coastal Plain, westaussie?

....... " $1200 is madness to me for any carpet hatchie,especiallyan imbricata,they come up now and then on the herptrader and other places... "

There would be less than 150 of these animals in captivity in W.A so that will govern the price to a certain extent.

I would not even pay $200 for a pygmy python , but I know people would pay $1000 for these animals. WHY ???? .... because of their rarity in captivity.

South west Carpet pythons have been legally available in W.A for less than two years. How much were coastal carpets ( mcdowelli ) when they first became available ?

I do have a few swan coastal forms Gabe, But as these are wild caught I am not selling any of them untill I have captive bred available

That's a really nice looking animal westaussie,appears to have a really nice sheen too!Almost a little jungle like with the pattern,colouration and head pattern....i like it but would not pay any more than$2-$300 for one ,more for a nice adult like that tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back