Wild Bearded Dragon species identification and thoughts please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delilah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was gardening a few weeks ago and ‘dug up’ a wee Bearded Dragon. Poor little thing was brumating, I reckon, so it was a bit dazed and confused to begin with. Anyhow, I decided I needed to observe said creature for a few days (😳) and weeks later, we still have him or her.

Thing is, she hasn’t grown much. I know it’s winter and all that but she’s eating quite well and relatively active and it got me thinking that all the wild Beardies we have on our property are really small. I wondered if she’s a Henrylawsonii, possibly a juvenile, as she is only 14-15cm, head to tail. I had a chat to my neighbour who said that’s about the size they grow to. She had one living in her rock garden and it laid (and hatched) eggs at not much bigger than that!

Thoughts from the Beardie afficionatos would be greatly appreciated. Pics attached 🙂

Last edited:
As a general rule, all native Australian animals are protected by law. State laws cover thetaking of protected animals and Commonwealth laws cover exporting or smuggling of wildlife.

Under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 (SA), any person who takes a protected animal or the eggs of a protected animal can face penalties as significant as a fine of up to $100 000 or imprisonment for two years, depending on the type of animal or egg being taken [see s 51]. The most serious penalties apply where the animal is of an endangered species. Protected animals can, however, be taken in certain circumstances during an open season proclaimed by the Minister or under a permit issued by the Minister [see ss 52 and 53]. A person who has applied for, and been refused, a permit can seek a review of that decision in the South Australian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal SACAT [see s 53A].

As well as the offence of taking a protected animal, severe penalties also apply to:

• keeping and selling protected animals without a permit; or
  • possessing an animal taken illegally; or
  • exporting and importing protected animals without a permit; or
  • using poison to take a protected animal; or
  • injuring or molesting a protected animal.

make sure to tell the world you're keeping a wild caught bearded dragon, Delilah.

anywho, it's probably a central bearded dragon.

Thanks for proving you are the a***hole I thought you were, Herpetology. My interactions with you have been almost entirely negative and one of the reasons I don’t bother posting much here. It’s a shame people like you ruin it for everyone else. Get your hand off it and stop being such a bully!! It’s the same few that make this a ****ty forum at times, especially for new keepers.

I’m not ‘keeping’ a Bearded Dragon. Trust me, I don’t want to keep it, I have enough on my hands. I just wanted to make sure it was ok after I dug it up. As it’s winter, I didn’t want to cause it unnecessary stress by releasing it when it is cold and it’s been disturbed from its usual activities. I plan to release it when it is in the best interest of the animal, not when the know-it-alls try to guilt me into doing so.

I’ve seen plenty of posts from people saying the same thing as me, about caring for a wild animal they are concerned about and no aggro from people like you.

Don’t bother replying as I know it will just be you wanting the last word, as usual and I’m not interested.

Thanks for proving you are the a***hole I thought you were, Herpetology. My interactions with you have been almost entirely negative and one of the reasons I don’t bother posting much here. It’s a shame people like you ruin it for everyone else. Get your hand off it and stop being such a bully!! It’s the same few that make this a ****ty forum at times, especially for new keepers.

I’m not ‘keeping’ a Bearded Dragon. Trust me, I don’t want to keep it, I have enough on my hands. I just wanted to make sure it was ok after I dug it up. As it’s winter, I didn’t want to cause it unnecessary stress by releasing it when it is cold and it’s been disturbed from its usual activities. I plan to release it when it is in the best interest of the animal, not when the know-it-alls try to guilt me into doing so.

I’ve seen plenty of posts from people saying the same thing as me, about caring for a wild animal they are concerned about and no aggro from people like you.

Don’t bother replying as I know it will just be you wanting the last word, as usual and I’m not interested.
I don’t want to keep it
I just wanted to

trust me you're doing more harm to it by forcing it into an unnatural situation and out of its groove than leaving it be.

Whatever. Ha
trust me you're doing more harm to it by forcing it into an unnatural situation than leaving it be.
And that’s all you needed to say…….without being such a bully.

People don’t get on here as instant experts (maybe you were born an expert!) It’s usually learned and it’s nice if it’s learned in a gentle way but that’s not your way so congratulations, you got rid of me. I’m over it so have fun with the others here that apparently know everything, talking the same **** with the same people because all the new members have been scared off.

Whatever. Ha

And that’s all you needed to say…….without being such a bully.

People don’t get on here as instant experts (maybe you were born an expert!) It’s usually learned and it’s nice if it’s learned in a gentle way but that’s not your way so congratulations, you got rid of me. I’m over it so have fun with the others here that apparently know everything, talking the same **** with the same people because all the new members have been scared off.
No, Instead I let you know that what you're doing is Illegal so you don't get in trouble. The paragraphs I used was copy and pasted. You're welcome.

No, Instead I let you know that what you're doing is Illegal so you don't get in trouble. The paragraphs I used was copy and pasted. You're welcome.
Thank you! I was unaware and appreciate the information…

make sure to tell the world you're keeping a wild caught bearded dragon, Delilah.
It’s the condescending way that it’s delivered at times. That’s what annoys me.

It’s the condescending way that it’s delivered at times. That’s what annoys me.

I can see both sides of situations like this, I certainly remember being a younger and more naive young reptile enthusiast wanting to find excuses to interact with animals so I'd kid myself into thinking it was somehow in their best interests, and after decades of experience with reptiles and becoming a qualified biologist, I can see the frustration people experience when dealing with people who want to believe they're helping the animals by having more interaction, and that frustration along with the way text can make things seem very blunt and nasty, can cause hurt feelings.

In reality, you aren't helping the animal by holding it in captivity. If you genuinely don't want to be keeping it, put it back ASAP. If you really want to keep it, keep in mind that you're doing so for your own personal reasons, not the animal's, and also that it's illegal (though if you don't dob yourself in or advertise what you're doing to people who might, the law is likely irrelevant).

If you want an ID, post a picture. I'm guessing you have something other than a Bearded Dragon, but without a picture I wouldn't try to give an ID. If it is a Pogona, I'd guess it's a Central Bearded Dragon, but without a picture there's little reason to try identifying it.

I can see both sides of situations like this, I certainly remember being a younger and more naive young reptile enthusiast wanting to find excuses to interact with animals so I'd kid myself into thinking it was somehow in their best interests, and after decades of experience with reptiles and becoming a qualified biologist, I can see the frustration people experience when dealing with people who want to believe they're helping the animals by having more interaction, and that frustration along with the way text can make things seem very blunt and nasty, can cause hurt feelings.

In reality, you aren't helping the animal by holding it in captivity. If you genuinely don't want to be keeping it, put it back ASAP. If you really want to keep it, keep in mind that you're doing so for your own personal reasons, not the animal's, and also that it's illegal (though if you don't dob yourself in or advertise what you're doing to people who might, the law is likely irrelevant).

If you want an ID, post a picture. I'm guessing you have something other than a Bearded Dragon, but without a picture I wouldn't try to give an ID. If it is a Pogona, I'd guess it's a Central Bearded Dragon, but without a picture there's little reason to try identifying it.
Thanks Sdaji, I appreciate your point of view. After what you and Herpetology have said, I will get the little one back to where it belongs as soon as possible. Bugs and weeds are in abundance at the moment, so he/she will be happy and well, I’m sure.

If the more experienced members could try harder to keep a handle on their frustration (and I know a lot of you do, a lot of the time), that would be helpful to the inexperienced among us. Thanks.

Thanks Sdaji, I appreciate your point of view. After what you and Herpetology have said, I will get the little one back to where it belongs as soon as possible. Bugs and weeds are in abundance at the moment, so he/she will be happy and well, I’m sure.

If the more experienced members could try harder to keep a handle on their frustration (and I know a lot of you do, a lot of the time), that would be helpful to the inexperienced among us. Thanks.

I know exactly where Herpetology is coming from, and I've been far more blunt than he/she has. In the past I was quite prone to it. When you're dealing with the same thing for the thousandth time it's sometimes difficult to remember that for the person you're talking to, it's the first time.

Depending on what species you have, it probably doesn't want bugs and weeds for a month or few, it wants to be somewhere safe and secure and possibly cold. If you have it warmed up and it has been feeding etc, wait until a warm day so it can find an appropriate place for itself.

I know exactly where Herpetology is coming from, and I've been far more blunt than he/she has. In the past I was quite prone to it. When you're dealing with the same thing for the thousandth time it's sometimes difficult to remember that for the person you're talking to, it's the first time.

Depending on what species you have, it probably doesn't want bugs and weeds for a month or few, it wants to be somewhere safe and secure and possibly cold. If you have it warmed up and it has been feeding etc, wait until a warm day so it can find an appropriate place for itself.
Yes, I was planning on waiting for a warmish day and putting it back where I found it, in the same veggie garden. From there, it can do as it pleases. Thanks again.

seeing you're in SA it definitely isn't Pogona henrylawsoni, their native territory is Darling Downs area in Qld.
If it is a beardy then apart from Central, it might possibly be one of the dwarf's which are similar size to henrylawsoni. But as Sdaji said without pics ID is impossible

seeing you're in SA it definitely isn't Pogona henrylawsoni, their native territory is Darling Downs area in Qld.
If it is a beardy then apart from Central, it might possibly be one of the dwarf's which are similar size to henrylawsoni. But as Sdaji said without pics ID is impossible
Thanks dragonlover. Pics below 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    1 MB
  • IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    2.1 MB

If you want an ID, post a picture. I'm guessing you have something other than a Bearded Dragon, but without a picture I wouldn't try to give an ID. If it is a Pogona, the full review is here I'd guess it's a Central Bearded Dragon, but without a picture there's little reason to try identifying it.
When I first took home a reptile, I had the same misconceptions.

I'm no Pogona taxonomy/identification expert (I'm actually a little dubious about some of the taxonomy and there's more sorting out to do, but that's another story), but I'd also say it's probably Pogona minor. Pretty neat to have these running around your home :)

as near as I can see it might be Pogona minor minor which I keep. Also known as western bearded dragon or dwarf.
They are from WA across to SA . There are 3 other small beardies in WA but they are a long way from SA
Thanks so much dragonlover! All I was after, when I posted this thread, was an i.d because I was so curious. We see a lot of these little guys scooting in and out of big rocks on the property, many quite close to the house. I was convinced it was a Bearded Dragon but I was confused by the size. Googling only told me that Pygmy and dwarf are the same, hence my question about Henrylawsonii. That’s when I thought I would ask here. Thanks again ☺️

I'm no Pogona taxonomy/identification expert (I'm actually a little dubious about some of the taxonomy and there's more sorting out to do, but that's another story), but I'd also say it's probably Pogona minor. Pretty neat to have these running around your home :)
It really is such a privilege to see these little dudes doing their thing. I just kept wondering why I never saw bigger ones. So cool! We also have some great big shingleback snoozers living in and around the garden. I’m a vet nurse of many years and I moved states not quite two years ago so the ‘different’ wildlife is fascinating to me 😁

Thanks so much dragonlover! All I was after, when I posted this thread, was an i.d because I was so curious. We see a lot of these little guys scooting in and out of big rocks on the property, many quite close to the house. I was convinced it was a Bearded Dragon but I was confused by the size. Googling only told me that Pygmy and dwarf are the same, hence my question about Henrylawsonii. That’s when I thought I would ask here. Thanks again ☺️
you are welcome, we try to help out. yes some people get the ****s answering the same questions time and again but newbies come along every day so we must do our bit. I ran a bearded dragon forum for many years so I have seen it all

Back