Aprasia striolata..... care of?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kakariki

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Man of the house was clearing some tin at a mates house & found what we now believe to be Aprasia striolata, 2 young ones which we can't put back due to the fact the sheets of tin they were living in is now gone. How do I care for them until spring, when I am then hoping I can take back to where we found them & release them? I have googled but couldn't find the info I need so anything you have will be greatly appreciated! The pic is a bit dodgey, sorry. These lil critters are incredibly wriggly, lol!

Attachments

• legless lizard.jpg
    legless lizard.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 191
I would suggest you contact either Rocket or eipper from here...

Best bet is just release them back where you found them - as close to the original GPS co-ordinates as you can...

Hope this helps! :)

Best,
Carolyn

LizardLady is correct. Aprasia in captivity is a recipe for disaster unless you can provide the ideal fossorial conditions and appropriate ant pupa/larva prey. Much like the Moloch dilemma.

Go to the same general area and find a place with lots of native vegetation and release them. They are quite variable in their niche selection, I for one have found them in dense acacia forest and open coastal sandy dunes.

Yeah just release them near any cover back near the original capture location. Doesn't need to be spring, they'll be fine now. But first, better pictures. :p

Very few people have kept Aprasia, they are almost totally fessorial, eat small things (in the wild mostly termites and ant larvea) and are probably temparamental to things like temperature, aside from the boredom of rarely seeing them, not the easiest thing to keep if you're not really dedicated. (Bit like Lerista really, you can keep them if you do it right, but why?)

Ok, looks like we are visiting the mate again, lol, better tell him to boil the billy. Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Yeah, sorry about the dodgey pics, gotta love the phone camera hey, lol. The markings on these 2 were crystal clear, very beautiful lil animals. Pity they are so particular with their care, they were released where we found them & they skittled off happy to be home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back