Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m_beardie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was thinking of getting a Gecko but i just have a few questions first.
How big do they grow?
I have a bearded dragon that eats woodies, will they be able to eat them too and are they easier or harder to care for than bearded dragons?
Is there anything really important to know about them?

Thanks!
From M:D

the largest gecko is the cave gecko and they get about 28cm, the smallest is about 6cm but the average size would be around 15cm.
they will eat woodies. and i think they would be harder to keep than beardies just because they are so small and generally alot more timid. i prefer beardies, plus geckos are not great handling animals if thats what ur after!

so i think i will be getting one called a smooth gecko... they seem quite a good size. They are gorgeous looking,
from thos who already have them, how much can you hold them before they get too stressed?
M

how many woodies should they be fed every day??

Last edited:
well all geckos are different and you should do a little googling up nephrurus levis care. apart from that thy dont get very big, can live in a tub and eat small insects, really any size as long as it fits in their mouth, easy to care for and awesome geckos, make sure you get a pic after!

lol you dont have to worry, pics will flow in :D i just need to know about the quantity of woodies that i would feed it?
and again, about how much i can hold it etc.
thanks for all your help!

ok so i have found that they can be fed 3-4 large crickets only twice a week is this too little? how about on going costs, are they very high if i already have a cockroach breeding colony? is sand/dessert like substrate good for them? does it need to be changed or do i just pick up the 'droppings' as i go along?

try googling some care sheets. or do a search on them. i would use sand, thats what i have for my gecko, and if u have seen any pics of set ups get pot plant holders and cut out a door. one at hot end on at cool end. heat mat/cord at one end. i would personally not handle a gecko at all, but mine is tiny. not sure about the big ones. but mine will run away if it gets the chance. like i said before dont get one if u are intending to handle it alot, they are generally not handling animals. if u want a small lizard u can handle try a central netted or pygmy beardy.

ohh wow thats great information thanks! I still want one because my beardy is great to hold so i guess a gecko would be good to look at. do they get very stressed easily and are they agressive or are they quite tame?

Gecko's aren't great handlers & are more intolerant to handling than beardeds....

I think they are cheaper & easier to care for than other lizards & they are interesting to watch.

I keep my thick tails on play sand/ desert sand & have a hide cave set up..

They need misting every couple of days thats the main way they drink...

Also they are mostly nocturnal so if your after something to watch through the day time they aren't for you...

well if they arent very high maintenance i would be glad to keep one (i have lots of other pets so low maintenance would be good, although i will look after it PROPERLY if it needs higher maintenance) my beardy eats like crazy so it would be good to have a pet that doesn't eat as much.
M

i have found that geckos need reptile vitamins once a week. does any one else give theirs vitamins? how do you feed it to them?
i found it on this website in the supplements area: SMOOTH KNOBTAIL GECKO CARE

You buy the powder and dust the food with them. put them in a bag put in the powder give it a shake.. beardies should b supplimented as well.

yes i give my beardy calcium with his woodies but i don't feed him tablets that's all.
thanks for your help.

ok, so i don't think there is much else to know, i think i will now find the gecko :D i am really excited! Thanks for your help everyone! i will put pics up asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back