I've lost my bearded dragon...please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddysmum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I had Buddy, my bearded dragon outside on his log on our verandah sunning himself. I went inside for no more than 5 minutes to grab the washing from the machine and when i came out he was gone. I have searched for the past 4 days with no luck. Our garden is quite overgrown but as I am searching, I have been weeding etc. I am devastated! I've had Buddy for over 5 years. We found out last year that Buddy is actually a girl (layed eggs) but I refer to Buddy as a 'he' because that is what we have always assumed.
We have crows (or ravens?) in a tree out the back. Would they have taken him? I've been told they only eat dead things.
Could Buddy travel very far? maybe looking for a mate?
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be so grateful.
I miss Buddy and hope I can find him soon :cry:
Thanks

thats my worst nightmare,...

have u put a jar out with crix/roaches to attract him?

dunno if i dog on a leash could help find him, my mates dog goes nuts at my beardies,...might be a way of sniffing him out,..

signs on telegraph posts?
talk to the neighbours,..

good luck, i hope u find ur buddy,....!! :(

Why on earth if you know there are birds like crows around would you leave your beardy unsupervised.........when mine are out I am with them 110% of the time and would never leave them.......

Why on earth if you know there are birds like crows around would you leave your beardy unsupervised.........when mine are out I am with them 110% of the time and would never leave them.......

he asked for help not a lecture on wat she did wrong fair enough it wasnt the smartest thing to do but i think she would have relised that by now

maybe borrow a male beardy to find ur female?

If you have a fence that he can't crawl under very easily or through you can dig holes in the middle and corners and put buckets in the holes. If he finds the fence and walks along it he will hopefully fall into a bucket and you'll get him back.

Have you noticed any wild beardies around. If so I would be looking in that general area and also on high objects especially early morning and late afternoon.
Good luck

Try the signs ect but after 4 days unfortunately I doubt that you will find her...........

Time to get out and do some herping, road edges, timber posts & tree stumps, brick fences ect, between 8 - 10 am... they usually don't go too far, let your neighbours know as they usually turn up in someone elses backyard. Best of luck.

I still can't find him!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have spoken to the neighbours and checked their yards as well. I have never noticed any other beardies around my area, only blue tongues.
My back verandah is about 1 metre high. He has jumped off before but when i left him he was really settled (I know when he is in the 'jump off' mood) as I spend a great deal of time with him.

Weetbix, I was told crows won't touch live things, only eat dead things. I DEFINATELY would not have left him there if i'd known they would harm him. I still don't know, would they? Buddy is quite large. I realize how much of a mistake it was leaving him (even if for only a few minutes). I went to the laundry which is right inside the verandah door and then straight back out.

I don't know of anyone who would have a male beardie to help.

I have been looking all day again, I'll go back out for another look this arvo. I will start putting up posters on telegraph poles and in our corner shop. Please wish me luck.

Crows will kill anything that is small enough for them. When i lived on a farm when i was but a small boy the crows used to kill our baby rabbits, chicks and ducklings.

letter

Everyone has given you the best info already. Have you tried letter dropping the entire neighorhood? Also try putting together a couple of posters and pics and seeing if the local shops are willing to let you place them up in the windows.

Check outside on every warm day and see if she is on the fence posts in your back yard sunning herself.

Unfortunately we all learn lessons in life and sometimes they are hard ones.

Hope you find her. She could end up popping up in a few weeks or even months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

as waruikazi said, try setting a bucket trap on a sunny day, put some small insects in side buckets near the fence, it is a long shot but anything is worth a try

im really sorry for you, good luck finding her

Best of Luck.
I know what its like to be in your situation, i accidently left my beardie sitting on his rock in the sun in my room, which unfortunatly has a small gap between the door and the floor and at the time he was only like 6 months old and he got out and unfortunatly my dogs tried to play with him, but i sincerly hope you have better luck than i did, I know how easy it is to walk away for a couple of minutes and lose them
All the best

Thats terrible! :( On Sunday my bluie got out of her enclosure and was looking everywhere for her. I found her luckily, but I know how you feel.... :(

Hate to say this if it is inappropriate, but what ever you do do not mow the lawn. Acturly, if you have other members of your household, make sure the don't do any lwan mowing.

I good thing to do is leave a food source in a bucket that is buried into the ground. Them when the lizard goes to get the food it falls into the bucket and can't get out. Give it a try. Unless you hate digging big holes in your backyard........

yer I lost a pink tongued skink once, it escaped from the enclosure it was in. never found it again though as it got outside. probably breeding with the wild ones around my area. its locality was only like 50km away so it wasnt affecting the genes really if it did breed. hope you find your beardie though

I hope you find your beardy, mine takes off like a rocket, I only put him in a big tub now when I take him outside.

Hopefully it's not too far away, I've had a wild bluey that kept coming back to our house even when the dogs chased him.

Fingers crossed for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back