Norhtern spiny tailed geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ciliaris

have been keeping ciliaris for 18 mths now, both grey and katherine forms. keep mine on sand and coir mix. they are arid zone species so dont know how theyd go with live plants, high humidity?
i use uv and calcium for mine. my preference. I have got one katherine ciliaris that developed v bad metab bone disease and scoliosis- spinal curve- despite the above measures, when the geckos were a few months old- so i keep up the uv and calcuim for my adults and young still. The ciliaris with the scoliosis has survived and lives on with the others but doesnt breed- a female unfortunately!

thanks for the info i just went out and got a uva/uvb tube 5.0 hope thats ok im thinking about using just sand or breeders choice if thats ok lynfrog have you got any pics of your set ups?

Glass tanks are good for displaying, though plastic tubs hold heat better, and getting good heating is the key to keep calcium levels up, note the heat mats up the sides and the tiles against the walls, most of these are for Oeduras, who will hide under the tiles, thus cooking themselves in the process, a couple of goldens in the smaller ones. Spiny's prefer to sit out in the open so a good ambient temp is needed.

Attachments

• gecko display tanks.jpg
    gecko display tanks.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 77
nice set up Jason ive got a 2ft exo terra enclosure for them have been told thats ok will have a heat cord and a uva/uvb tube in there with a day light 40watts and a night light thats 25watts does that sound ok with a thermostat set on 30 degrees is that ok?

Sounds fine, just keep the day heat up to them in winter, I have my Oeduras and spiny's at 35 deg max, That hot New Years a few years ago, my Oedura tanks were 47!!!!, and they made it through (though I was crapping myself)

ok kool ok so i was told to keep them at about 20 to 25 degrees in winter cooling period i would have been craping my self aswell lol

I keep mine at 24 - 30 during day still, cooler nights is enough to "cool" them, calcium levels will drop if they are too cool. Look at where they come from, day time temps still get hot, but the nights freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back