Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there's a offer!!! HerpDoc, maybe you could make a seperate thread on your offer and the mods could make it sticky untill you have enough snakes....We need as much research into these virus's as possible, we should all go out of our way to help if possible.

It is all about risk minimisation. Several of the big breeders that I am in regular contact with that have established lines rarely introduce new snakes into their main collection. If they do, they employ thorough (but not perfect) quarantine methods to minimise the risk of introduce contaminated snakes. Luckily enough there are people like Danny Brown who openly admit that they have diseased animals and do the correct thing by euthanising the whole lot, rather than flogging them off on the sly.

Jonno ,
Thanks for pointing out risk minimisation .
Unfortunatly we have a few people out there that do not tell all the truth and because of that the disease will flourish . When people dont tell all the truth , it makes it a bit hard to properly work where the problem started and what animals caused the problem , ie: bringing in new snakes to their collection and forgetting where all the snakes came from ( LOL ) .

Lucky , as you say , we have the likes of Danny .

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer HERPDR

I have messaged you, ill await your reply and take it from there.

Im happy for you to carry out the autopsy and euthanise if need be.

Is there any way someone could pm the name of the breeder/seller of the original snake that is suspected to have spread the disease? Theres been a fair bit talked about it and it sounds like a well known breeder/ seller....

(sorry if this is against forum rules. delete if is.)

Is there any way someone could pm the name of the breeder/seller of the original snake that is suspected to have spread the disease? Theres been a fair bit talked about it and it sounds like a well known breeder/ seller....

(sorry if this is against forum rules. delete if is.)

im sure the seller of the snake that died is or will be monitoring this thread already ;)

Hard luck HR, seems like you cant catch a break lately!

edit: as far as legal avenues go, i think you will have a hard time forming a solid case as you have already been compensated twice (thats what you have said on this forum anyways) and your original autopsy pointed to worms as the suspect.

It will be hard to prove that the diesase came from the snake in question (thats if it actually did)
Also, im sure the seller would have kept all you correspondence and mostlikley a copy of the threads on here involving said snakes.

Just something to think about perhaps.

Last edited:
im sure the seller of the snake that died is or will be monitoring this thread already ;)

Hard luck HR, seems like you cant catch a break lately!

No i cant lol however i now have three different vets working with me to try and figure this out.

bredli_lover the seller cant be named however, a bit of research and detective work and it isnt hard to figure out who the seller is.
Its not against forum rules to send the sellers name in a PM though ;)

This statement concerns me. Frequent exposure to mite sprays has caused snakes to display signs of neurological problems.

I dont mean every time i change the news paper i mean everythime i thouroughly scrub the cage.

Besides i have always done this and never had a problem.

Either way we will soon find out what the hell is going on, i am 99.9% the problems stem from the 2 dodgey snakes that i got. The 1 that died the other i had to return.

methinks it may be a husbandry issue...

or an act of god

i hope you discount all alternate possibilities to ibd/opmv before you kill your pets.

Its not a husbandry issue i can assure you.

And its not an act of god its most likely an act of a dodgey seller but we wont know for certain for a while yet.

Did you worm all the other snakes with a wormer when you found the other had worms? If so what brand and how much?? Just a thought....

Did you worm all the other snakes with a wormer when you found the other had worms? If so what brand and how much?? Just a thought....

Yes all snakes have been wormed.

I cant read the writing on the bottle but its the standard worm medication for all snakes prescribed by vets.

I dont mean every time i change the news paper i mean everythime i thouroughly scrub the cage.

Even still, it's the kind of chemical that should only be used if there is a problem. Saying it works because you've never had a problem is like saying concrete floats cos you've never seen it sink. I know lots of people who've never had a problem with mites ( me included) who've never treated for them.

Don't mean that as having a go at you, but overuse of a chemical in anyway can have adverse effects if a problem occurs. If one mite survives a treatment, it's stronger against the chemical, times that by 5,6,7 and you;ve got an almost completely resistent mite.

Again, sorry. I just though I'd stress the point. There are many reasons to not use chemicals where possible.

Sorry to hear about all this trouble, I hope you and your animals get through it alright.

Even still, it's the kind of chemical that should only be used if there is a problem. Saying it works because you've never had a problem is like saying concrete floats cos you've never seen it sink. I know lots of people who've never had a problem with mites ( me included) who've never treated for them.

Don't mean that as having a go at you, but overuse of a chemical in anyway can have adverse effects if a problem occurs. If one mite survives a treatment, it's stronger against the chemical, times that by 5,6,7 and you;ve got an almost completely resistent mite.

Again, sorry. I just though I'd stress the point. There are many reasons to not use chemicals where possible.

Sorry to hear about all this trouble, I hope you and your animals get through it alright.

You make some good points and i may now rethink my might spraying after this drama is over however i am 100% certain that has nothing to do with whats going on.

And so does the vets that have examined the animals.

Either way we will soon find out what the hell is going on, i am 99.9% the problems stem from the 2 dodgey snakes that i got. The 1 that died the other i had to return.
how about being 100%sure before you bad mouth people :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back