Possum Relocation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_Forest_Drag

Reaction score
Well there are a pair of possums living at my house (brush tails) i see at least 1 at least once per night they come out from 6pm-2am anyway i got 3 when i was younger to raise off the RSPCA and let them go when they got to about 4 months, I let them go on my property first mistake (i was like 7) anyway 12 years later there are these 2 MASSIVE brush tails possums, One is awesome he lets me hand feed him however mum wants me to relocate them as they are nesting in the roof and causing to much damage to the house im going to miss these guys especially the one that lets me feed him :(.

However i set up a Cage and just caught one of them 5mins ago ill take some pics on my phone (my camera is wrecked) in 5 mins im just asking whether moving one at a time is ok and not to stressful on the animal? They could be pairs that are 12 years old, (not sure how long brushys live for) the other one is on my Balcany atm hissing at his mate lol (his mate is eating apples in the cage) I only have one cage so cant wait untill i catch them together ...... I plan to relocate them in the national park 5mins down the road. However itll have to be seperatly will they find each other in the park?

If it was up to me i would let them stay.....

Cheers.

if you relocate them another one will just move in to your nice warm, dry roof cavity.

Just put up a couple of nest boxes in a nearby tree and block the holes in your roof when they go out an night. job done :)

i would say if you let them go that the one yo can hand feed my go to people looking for food. this may lead them to dog ect or crul people ? :D

Nah i rarely hand feed him .. we are talking once every 4-5 months although after the bushfires it has probally been once a month (due to no food etc)

Really swaddo more will just move in? :shock:

Anyone got any ideas?
trying to stay inside at the moment as when i went out before he just froze dont want to stress him.

Nah i rarely hand feed him .. we are talking once every 4-5 months although after the bushfires it has probally been once a month (due to no food etc)

Really swaddo more will just move in? :shock:

happens that way round here. Just block the holes that they are getting in through, but do it after they go out at night.

if you relocate them another one will just move in to your nice warm, dry roof cavity.

Just put up a couple of nest boxes in a nearby tree and block the holes in your roof when they go out an night. job done :)

I agree with swaddo, they love the nesting boxes, proberly more than birds.

Cheers guys might just move it to the back of my property and put a few nesting boxs out there, problem with the house is its an old old house hence i have no idea how they get in i would imagine there would be quite a few ways though.

Check your local coucil regs too, my local council prohibits the relocation of possums more than 100m from the point of capture due to displacement of animals in other areas, & it's futile anyway as those animals would be replaced by others. As some people have said, it's best to block the entry points in the roof & provide nest boxes, that way you can still enjoy your animals & they wont keep you up at night banging around, squabbling, & making little possums in your roof.

Check your local coucil regs too, my local council prohibits the relocation of possums more than 100m from the point of capture due to displacement of animals in other areas, & it's futile anyway as those animals would be replaced by others. As some people have said, it's best to block the entry points in the roof & provide nest boxes, that way you can still enjoy your animals & they wont keep you up at night banging around, squabbling, & making little possums in your roof.

indeed tonsky, in our region it is 50m i believe. Just far enough to be able to stuff it into your neighbours roof cavity :D

Alright ill have a look into it and get some nesting boxes, Still want to release it tonight though as i just found out it has a pouch and dont want to stress the poor thing out.
it was like climbing on the cage and i saw its belly and its a female with a pouch!

Possums have a home range, they need to stay within that home range, but will move straight back into your roof if you let them go within a 20km radius of your house, and they might die on the roads traveling back to your (their) home. Your best bet is to fix up where they are getting in to your roof.

I hope that you have been able to get some nesting boxes up for them. If you do not have access to the building materials etc, please call the rspca or wildlife care organisation in your area. If you can access someone who rehabs possums they may have some boxes made up or appropriate contacts for you. Never relocate one of a pair of any wildlife. The stress would kill them. You cannot release any animal to a national park either without checking governing body. You could upset the balance of the eco/fauna system. Possums will find their way home and it would be cruel to try to relocate them when they have been there for so long. Get someone onto your roof to find the entry point - again, a wildlife rescuer could help you with this - and block it. Rescuers are volunteers that have genuine interest in the animals wellbeing and will help you no end. You might want to offer a donation of some old blankets etc if they do come out to help. All the best with it and it is great that you care so much to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back