Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry mistaken the comment i take that back. now i find that funny

specksta1er said:
hey wats with that they have nothing to do with this

They would have.

There's no point in arguing with people like that. They heard it from someone at the pub or some such and they think they know more then people who actually own and care for reptiles :rolleyes: . It's ridiculous.

no i meant the infractions. things can get mixed up on here hey. some people take it the wrong way like i did then realize it meant somenthink compleately different.

I would have gotten an infraction because my first post was rude. So I edited it. That's what I meant about infractions.

Every now and again i come across people with these stories.I just smile and agree with them.Saves arguments because people like that are always right.:)

some people are like that at school. so annyoing. no matter the topic they are right.

This story is about the equivalent of stating that a woman gave birth to a litter of puppies...

Yep..... the story holds no credibility what so ever. I have heard the same story with different species in different locations numerous times. Unfortunately its not only the native reptile community that is subject to all these stories. There are these types of gross misconceptions amongst most native species groups. I heard from a wildlife carer just the other day, someone phoned up "I have a Eagle its injured and it tried to kill me" So she races down with her gloves, goggles and biggest tub thinking it may have been a sea eagle or something. She gets down there and its a tawny frog mouthed owl. It happens with reptiles, sharks, spiders, scorpions, birds, mammals, marsupials and basically all types of native animals that the average person in this country has no education of. Don't believe everything people tell you or you read in the news paper.

Have heard this a few times,it literaly cant happen as all the bits wont fit.So you just have to be nice and nod politely when someone tells you these things.
MatE.

a mate who told me this said that brown snkaes have been breeding with carpets down past grafton somewhere. my mate is 45 and he isnt lying. a fews years ago he said that a guy died after being bitten by what he thought was a carpte and it was but it bred with a brown. it was supposbly in the paper aswell. if its true i reckon some weirdo has bred them and its escaped and bred with other. but i dont think its true. what are your opinons?

btw i didnt make this up

I have had a similar situation happen at work recently... This old bat was telling me that she hates people who keep snakes as idiots are crossbreeding snakes...at first I thought she meant hybridising i.e. Bredli with diamond or something to which I agreed with, but as she went on... It was obvious she meant Pythons with Vens...

I explained to her that anything from the family Elapidae and Colubridae cannot breed with anything from the family Pythonidae/Boidae as it is IMPOSSIBLE and if it WERE possible it would be EXTREMELY hard to do and not the average idiot could pull something like that off... Her response was "Oh what like Galahs and budgies interbreeding?" I didn't respond as I couldnt remember from Uni if they were in the same Order, Super or Sub-order or not i.e. Passeriformes/Passerines or Non-Passeriformes/Non-Passerines, as I couldn't remember which are the singing, perching birds or not, let alone the same Families or not... Which now that I look back on my learning guide, they are both Passerines...We didn't learn the different Families as there are WAY too many! But I would say that they are in different families and hence the answer would of been yes... I told her you can't compare it with dogs as it is a completely different thing... i.e. dogs are all of the same species (Canis lupus formerly Canis familiaris - Dingo's are C. l. dingo for curiosity's sake) just different "locales" sort of thing...

Also explained to her that it was very hard (I presume anyways) to even interbreed anything within the families that weren't the same species i.e. an Antaresia with a Morelia...even in the same genus i.e. Bredli with Diamond, as you have to get all the conditions exactly right for both of them to do it etc etc...

She still wasn't swayed and said she knew 3 different deaths/people from "Carpet bites"... I said that it was most likely a misidentification of the snake by an uneducated person and the snake was actually a "pure ven", OR it was some weird and unusual bad reaction to the bacteria or something on its teeth...and told her I have been bitten too many times to count from many different types of pythons and I am still standing and so are many people I know...

She then went on to tell me that I was wrong and everything I learnt at Uni and through owning snakes was wrong:rolleyes: because some Breeder she knew of died 36yrs ago from a venomous carpet bite that he apparently bred...:rolleyes: I tried to get as much info about this so-called venomous carpet breeder as I could and this is all she could tell me: "That he was a South Australian Breeder, and he was Italian, and it was 36yrs ago this happened...":rolleyes:

Coz Uni degree's aren't a valid form of proof or knowledge these days, a bogan hillybilly hick backyard breeder with no scientifically proven knowledge is...go figure!:rolleyes:

She also told me that any snake she comes into contact with/sees ends up dead as she thinks they are all venomous because people have been interbreeding non-vens with vens and releasing them into the wild :evil::rolleyes::evil::rolleyes::evil::rolleyes::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

*As I'm editing this, I had to go rescue my mice from the same BTS as last week :rolleyes: Obviously a 5m relocation wasn't far enough away...:rolleyes::lol: So I've tried a 50m relocation to one of the old delapidated caravans down our driveway which I KNOW has a mice infestation in it, hopefully he will be happier there:p:D...We'll see next week if thats far enough away..:lol: - The caravan has many different points of entry/escape through holes in the roof and missing windows etc so he's not trapped in there!* Haha typically one of our visitors passed me on the way back and said "did ya kill it?:D" :rolleyes: Bloody bogan! I was like NO! Relocated it to a new source of food!

Back to the story tho from my deviation :lol:
I found it extremely hard to keep my cool in this convo with her and seriously felt like slapping her over the head amongst other violent things... like clubbing her with a shovel to see how she felt...Poor snakes! This is why I hate people who know nothing about snakes! They believe some bogan hillbilly hick story that all the snakes are now breeding with vens and they are all venomous as an excuse to kill every snake they see!

I was going to make a thread myself about it as I am really curious to know if anyone else knows about this apparent SA breeder that died 36yrs ago etc etc.... As I would think it would have been BIG news back then... I may still make a thread, but see how this goes...

Last edited:
I went to relocate a common tree snake from a friend's parent's yard in Murpheys Creek, Sth east QLD.
After we relocated the little guy, the mother gave me a glass of water, and a long lecture about how the browns and the carpets have been cross breeding and now all the snakes everywhere are deadly. It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

I told her it was impossible, but people aren't interested in facts, only good stories.

I told her it was impossible, but people aren't interested in facts, only good stories.

So very true! But not always the case... My mum asked me if those non-vens crossing with vens stories were true and I explained to her that it was most definately not true, and thanks to me doing uni etc she is one that believes me and the facts... Although she DID say "Oh, but then how come dogs can do it? And what about horses and donkeys creating mules (which are sterile) etc?" :lol: I said its not like them, so now when she goes to reinform people about how its not possible, she uses the example of "Its the same as cows and horses can't interbreed..." :lol: That made me laugh hearing her example, but I spose its a good and valid one... I have never heard of a Corse or How existing :lol: Unless anyone else is, this may be my new example...easier to explain to people who have no scientific knowledge/background...easier for them to understand common names than the intricate web of scientific ones with Families, Orders, sub-classes, genus's and species etc etc...

Bit like a friend of ours telling us that a mate at the pub knew of a '28foot diamond python'....argued black and blue that it was true.....:rolleyes:

Bit like a friend of ours telling us that a mate at the pub knew of a '28foot diamond python'....argued black and blue that it was true.....:rolleyes:

Hahaha i can never figure out how they are so accurate with their measurements with such obviously false lengths. If it was 25 or 30 foot at least its obvious its only a guess, but 28 foot???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back