vet trip for the deccw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
had to take some animals to a vet to keep deccw happy. here are some images of PIT tagging, blood sampling and scale clipping

Attachments

• chipping.jpg
    chipping.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 404
  • bloodybigneedle.jpg
    bloodybigneedle.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 392
  • blood.jpg
    blood.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 393
  • scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 392
Interesting stuff. This might be a dumb question but what was the reason for the required actions?

Michael

Interesting stuff. This might be a dumb question but what was the reason for the required actions?

Michael

They are possibly the only species at risk from poaching(please correct me if im wrong), some wildife regulators are keen to look like they do stuff other than over regulating animals that arnt relevant to conservation.

it is an endangered species that has had poaching identified as a potential threat, and therefore all private animals and those in zoos are being tagged and the DNA taken to prevent future laundering of wild caught specimens.

Sounds like a good way to kill Broadies . They don't like stress , they don't like travel , they don't like heat . I hope all of your 'treated' animals go back on the tucker and don't end up sulking .

How much blood were they able to extract? A usable quantity?

So do DECCW let you catch a new one if one of the snakes drops dead due to manhandling? I can handle them taking a mouth swab but anything much more intrusive than that wouldnt be happening before the coppers dragged me away full of holes.

farma, my smallest animal was 29 grams and they tagged it.
rory, i agree... and anecdotally am aware that tagging this species has caused fatalities, which is why the vet applied the tag under the skin, not within the body cavity as the DECCW wanted.
quite a bit of blood was removed, enough from each animal to soak the ends of two cotton buds that were sent off to different labs.

farma, my smallest animal was 29 grams and they tagged it.
rory, i agree... and anecdotally am aware that tagging this species has caused fatalities, which is why the vet applied the tag under the skin, not within the body cavity as the DECCW wanted.
quite a bit of blood was removed, enough from each animal to soak the ends of two cotton buds that were sent off to different labs.
What if someone from the DECCW sees that? Is there any consequence?

west grizz, out west...
dannyboi, the powers that be want the snakes tagged and i really dont think they care too much where, the bloke i spoke to on the phone said they body cavity option was to prevent the tag migrating under the skin and being hard to find! ridiculous considering how bloody obvious these things are, check out image three near my fingers to see the tag

yes. easier to use with little snakes than a tube, safer for the handler, less stress on the snake than being held by the head.
you can even administer injections through a bag if needs be.

Last edited:
pictures tell a better story steve1, you just pop the animal in a bag, zip it up, and then the slightest pressure is needed to avoid being chewed... again you can see the vet waving his perspex tube around!

Attachments

• bag1.jpg
    bag1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 231
  • bagged.jpg
    bagged.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back