Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because they lokk great and have some of the best colours ive seen in a snake unlike boring old coastals like the ones "people" have in there avatars.

sam.

People don't buy snakes to touch and play with.

They buy them for breeding, a fascination with the animal and for looking at.

That's like saying "why would you ever have a pet fish? You can't hold them..." but millionss of people own fish.

That's a very silly question, if you really think about it.

Not worth a whole thread.

Some people appreciate the animal for what it is, not what they can do with it.

:p

Hix

I want a death adder, i want a few death adders, they are STUNNING snakes, very nice indeed, in fact i might go get me a death adder right now ;) (if only it were that easy *sigh*)

i would love a death adder! there beautiful
mr.fishie u should really go and have a look at some pics of them and then come back and tell us what u think

Always handy to have one to chuck in the inlaws bed when they come to stay? lol...

Their an awesome snake but i wouldn't want to run the risk. I know you just have to be careful but if you ask me just not worth the risk. Cool snakes though!!!

The same reason people get ice sculptures made, coat things in gold, get piercings, speed...

Cos they want to.

I've kept elapids, pythons, colubrids and I've lived with File Snakes. I've played with boas, blind snakes, vipers... and after all that, Death Adders are up there with my absolute favourites, they'd be in my top three favourite Australian snakes to keep. They're gorgeous, interesting, very low maintenace and very easy to keep. The venom is a mixed blessing, it does make them interesting, but it keeps most people away from them. I am fairly sure that if they were non-venomous they'd be Australia's most popular snake. I rarely physically touch mine (because of the venom), which is a shame, because most of them are such sweet-natured snakes and wouldn't bite if I wanted them to. Tonight I had to manually slough one, it was sort of cute, it repeatedly tried to bite me as I was pulling the old skin off :) (I had it in a secure head grip, there was no danger).

It's difficult to describe the enjoyment I get from watching their very interesting behaviour. They're completely different from anything else in Australia. Funnily enough, they most remind me of Chondros (sit and wait, luring for food). I absolutely love watching them lure, it is so endearing. The 'flattening' behaviour is very cool, it's like what a cobra does when it hoods, but they do it with their whole bodies, from the base of their neck to the base of their tail! Their lightning-fast strikes are extremely impressive. Everyone I know who has kept them has quickly found them to be extremely appealing, there is something very special about them.

While I can't do a great job of describing how appealing they are to keep, I can give you some pictures of some of mine. At the very least, most people will agree they look good.

PrettyprettygirlSleaze.jpg

PrettygirlSleaze.jpg

Djaeye.jpg

readytopwn.jpg

greynorthernadderskin.jpg

MaleDjarraaa.jpg

barklyperspective.jpg

barkly.jpg

barklysatinface.jpg

ADSCN666.jpg

greyintermediateredadderss.jpg

Telsoneatingresized.jpg

I'd love to post more pictures, but I'm sure people will start screaming something about flooding if I do!

Wow, they are stunning!!! :shock::shock::shock:

And excellent photos!!!

because they lokk great and have some of the best colours ive seen in a snake unlike boring old coastals like the ones "people" have in there avatars.

sam.

Or the boring old beardies some have in theres *cough cough* ;)

I have also been privileged enough to see Adders in various peoples collections and they are stunning to say the least! I think they make terrific display animals and wouldn't mind going down that track one day myself.

Oh I have a question for Sdaji - how on earth do you go at releasing your hand grip on an Adder in that situation??? :p :lol:

I want a scaleless death adder. I think they look fake :D I want a red belly too.

Personal interests don't always have to be about cuddly pets. Lots of people keep various animals that can't be handled - aviary bred parrots would chew ya fingers off but ppl still like them because they are beautiful to look at, and to listen to.

Mr.Fishie, my wife would agree with you there!! I would love one, but she has threatened divorce if I ever get one! Although she did threaten divorce if I ever got a python but she is still around.
(Maybe second time I get lucky!! ... only joking :D )

Like all animals adders have their own personality. awesome photos there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back