Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

site_3678

Reaction score
Hey i have always wanted a diamond python but have no idea if you can even get them in WA I under stand that there naturally from NSW but can you still have them out side there habitat does anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
99% sure WA cannot import pythons.
You will need to check with your licencing body about what pythons you can have on class 1 and go from there

I am pretty sure as well that you can not import pythons into WA. I assumed that you had kept diamonds since you suggested them as a first python?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey i have always wanted a diamond python but have no idea if you can even get them in WA I under stand that there naturally from NSW but can you still have them out side there habitat does anyone know?
Nope cant keep them in WA.
Some goose made a fool of himself the other day going into a reptile pet store and telling the staff that he wanted a diamond python and that he will get one from somewhere else.

They would be there somewhere I am sure. They smuggle pythons o/s...so cannot see why not WA. No difference than exotics found everywhere in Australia.

I'm sure you could get them in WA, doesn't make it ok by law.

I had three Diamond Pythons when I was living in WA :)! We got them at the Museum from Perth Zoo, then when I left the Museum, they didn't want them any more so CALM put them on a Reg 16 for me...

Jamie

They would be there somewhere I am sure. They smuggle pythons o/s...so cannot see why not WA. No difference than exotics found everywhere in Australia.
Yeah they are here alright. Just not legally. Lots of exotics turn up from time to time.. A car dealership also had a diamond appear out of a camper van recently in Perth.

Handled been around but never owned

- - - Updated - - -

Ok cool thanks for your response

Handled been around but never owned

- - - Updated - - -

Ok cool thanks for your response
Not that it really makes a difference as your information was correct and I don't even know why it seemed strange because everyone knows stuff about what they haven't actually had experience with.

what happens then if you have a diamond and have to move to wa do you have to sell the snake?

Not that it really makes a difference as your information was correct and I don't even know why it seemed strange because everyone knows stuff about what they haven't actually had experience with.

Haha yer I know what you mean. I was thinking aaah crap now this person thinks I have know idea about them. having the subject brought up in the other thread lead me to question if u can get them hear. a few years ago I lived over east and a friend had a male and female he had intending on breading I literally went to his house to go handle them for fun when compared to the stimsons and carpet pythons I have handle hear I found that they where sightly more afraid and less active wich makes sense because its to my understanding that they are both an ambush predator as the diamonds are more of a hunting predator. Please correct me if I am wrong?

On top of that I supposed these things always depend on up bringing

- - - Updated - - -

what happens then if you have a diamond and have to move to wa do you have to sell the snake?

Haha put it in your suit case

But yer I say you would have to otherwise your introducing a species over hear wich I dont see why its a problem but I guess the same was sed about kane toads

It is based on virus prevention I believe. They don't want things like the sunshine virus wiping out native pythons.

The exclusion of all pythons from entering WA is based on quarantine to exclude IBD (inclusion body disease) found in boid snakes. The causative agent is thought to be an arenavirus but they have yet to fully confirm that.

Diamonds are also excluded by virtue of the fact that they are not on the list of reptiles permitted to be kept in WA.

Blue

The exclusion of all pythons from entering WA is based on quarantine to exclude IBD (inclusion body disease) found in boid snakes. The causative agent is thought to be an arenavirus but they have yet to fully confirm that.

Diamonds are also excluded by virtue of the fact that they are not on the list of reptiles permitted to be kept in WA.

Blue
I didn't think that there were and actual cases of IBD confirmed in Australia yet?

I didn't think that there were and actual cases of IBD confirmed in Australia yet?

l once had a Southeast Queensland Coastal Carpet Python, that l purchase in early 1990 has a juvenile, that was effected from ( inclusion body disease ) in the late 90's from a mite infestation.

So inclusion body disease is confirmed here in Australia.

l once had a Southeast Queensland Coastal Carpet Python, that l purchase in early 1990 has a juvenile, that was effected from ( inclusion body disease ) in the late 90's from a mite infestation.

So inclusion body disease is confirmed here in Australia.
Could it have been a incorrect diagnosis?
I know a few years ago every diagnosis that couldn't be named ended up as "signs consistent with OPMV" but i dont know if there are any confirmed cases in Aus. Certainly one way of not having a disease is to not look for it, and by prohibiting snakes from the eastern states in WA, it is less likely that any dignosis in WA will be reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back