Update on my sick python...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbed_wire_dove

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Firstly i just wanted to put out a big thank you to everyone who helped me out with my snake Akiva. If it hadnt been for you guys, i would have listened to the vet and put him down.
so i literally owe his life to you :D and the little guy may be as ugly as sin but i love him and he makes my day every time i look at him, so i am SO grateful!

(for anyone who doesnt know the story: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help/sick-python-lost-cause-104755)
or in short, my snake was born with a backbone deformity, was healthy for 6 - 7 years, all of a sudden got really sick and i didnt know why, as nothing had changed at all...i took him to a vet here who thought he was a bit of a lost cause from the start, got a lot of really bad advice, made him 100x worse, and then was told i was cruel if i didnt put him down as he was just too bad to fix. :?

I took Akiva down to see Peter Nosworthy at the Wyoming vet clinic, and he told me that there was no way i had to put him down. He just needed some good advice and TLC.
Peter had me start feeding Akiva A/D catfood through a syringe 2x every second day, put him in a warm bath every night, then dry and massage him with sorbelene cream, and continue putting iodine on his legions. And continue this til further notice.
This has been going on for a month now, and he has put almost all of the weight he has lost back on, he can see out of both of his eyes again, is pooping all by himself, and today for the first time has shed again in full!!
This shed has gotten rid of all of the skin legions except 2 that were massive, (they are still getting better).
And shes so much better than she was!! shes looking almost brand new!
He hasnt eaten by himself again yet, but i think it wont be long before he does.

So thanks a million everyone!!

Heres some before and afters:

Before:
before.jpg

Before and After:
BeforeandAfter1.jpg

The main skin legion, before and after:
beforeafter2.jpg

And this is now! so much better looking, huh!?
after.jpg

dammit...
its a male....
was sold to me as a female, ive been calling it a 'her' for years, found out recently its a male and im still in the habit of saying "she".
so everytime i said 'she' that post, im not crazy. lol.

this is the reward for ur persistence and patience.... awesome....

As i said in a previous post,unless the vet speciallises in reptiles,you should always get a second opinion.Im so glad he is on the road to recovery,well done for taking the time and patience with him,you couldve taking the easy step.Could you please post some body shots,cheers.

That is awesome!! I remember your post, so glad you saw another vet.
He looks great now, congratulations!!

Barbed that is absolutely amazing. That snake is a different python. ****oops, didn't read it, sorry*****

Last edited:
That's great news! Good on you for not giving up! He looks so much better-well done!

That's awesome! Looking a lot healthier now, hope he keeps on improving for you :).

That vet at Mt Sugarloaf, is a highly recommended vet for reptiles. Friends of mine who have GTPs drive to Newcastle to see him than to trust any up this way.

I read the first post so I knew the whole story first, and I am SO glad HE is rapidly on the road to recovery. You deserve a medal for perserverance and compassion!!

I'm pretty new to this site, but thats the first time I've heard about the cat food thing. Sounds like a great vet. I have to find a good herp vet in Perth, just incase my Indi ever needs to visit.

As i said in a previous post,unless the vet speciallises in reptiles,you should always get a second opinion.Im so glad he is on the road to recovery,well done for taking the time and patience with him,you couldve taking the easy step.Could you please post some body shots,cheers.

The vet i took him too was apparently good with reptiles. But im glad i got a second oppinion :)
and Yep, i'll take some body shots a little later and post em up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back