Weapons!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. Perhaos what I read was out of date. Still illegal here in vic at any rate though with a collectors permit you can own one (apprently you can own automatic weapkns with a collectors permit down here too... Not to sure on how accurate that is). Sorry I meant it wasn't allowed in because you need a lisence.

Noise modifiers are also illegal in most (probably all) states of the country. Did you also know that the ratio of gun owners has gone from 1 in 70 to 1 in every 12 in the last 5 years?

Aww nice thread too late now but maybe I can post photos of a rifle made in 1914 tomorrow maybe not a old sword but still bloody ancient , still fires fine

Yep nosie muffilers are illegal. 1 in 12 thats pretty cool. Go ahead Chilli!

I used to own a pair of crossbows, fun to use but I was never serious about them, ended up selling them around 2004, they were still legal in vic then. I wasn't actually aware they'd been made illegal in the state... Bloody dumb if you ask me, I'd be more worried about someone roaming with a bow.

Meant to be heading to the States sometime soonish to visit a friend who also happens to be an armourer, been promised to be let loose on his property in Oregon with an M1 and a .338 Lapua Magnum.

Last edited:
Yeh. You can have them on collectors oermit I think... I mean I don't see why they wouldn't be lol... Someone good with a bow can be a way bigger danger than someone crap with a crossbow lol

Noise modifiers are also illegal in most (probably all) states of the country. Did you also know that the ratio of gun owners has gone from 1 in 70 to 1 in every 12 in the last 5 years?

Nice stats (however I am biased). I have also never understood why silencers are illegal to all unless you have a registered reason for owning one in Australia, maybe its logical to someone else but I miss having a silenced .22 for bunny popping.
However I first got a firearms license in NZ where you went to the police station, sat your license test, passed and then walked around the corner and purchased a rifle, where in most cases if the caliber was below .223 you were offered a silencer as a "bonus for your first gun"

Meant to be heading to the States sometime soonish to visit a friend who also happens to be an armourer, been promised to be let loose on his property in Oregon with an M1 and a .338 Lapua Magnum.

Nice! M1 will be a nice toy but depending on the .338, make sure you tuck it in nice and tight!

I really really hated the gun buy back in NSW, when they passed the new gun laws all 3 of my guns became illegal and had to be released to the buy back idiots, I had a Ruger Mini 14 semi auto in .223 cal with 16 and 30 shot mags, a Remington D-Bar semi auto in .222 cal with 22 shot and 12 shot mags and a Mossberg 590 A1 pump action shotty with 8+1 cartridge system, all i got for the 3 guns was $2800, the Mossy alone was worth $1600, i don't know how some people could be boasting online that they got $500 for an old .22 that did not work very well anyway. I was devistated. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Opening the safe after many months to blow some dust out of my rifle this weekend!

hopefully get a few ferals!

You can own a knife longer than 30cm without a permit in Victoria.
Too my knowlege of the new laws, a bladed weapon over 30cm is considered a sword or simillar weapon, in which case they are prohibwrted and require a permit.

Too my knowlege of the new laws, a bladed weapon over 30cm is considered a sword or simillar weapon, in which case they are prohibwrted and require a permit.

So you're saying you need a permit to buy a machete from bunnings? Can you please post your source because I'm having trouble finding it?

There is no mention of any specific length that a bladed weapon is considered a sword or a prohibited weapon? This is According to the Victorian weapons definitions that was last updated on the 26th may.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=25574

"A sword is defined under sch.2 of the Regulations as being a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a long blade having 1 or 2 edges and a hilt or handle. A sword is still classified as a sword even if the 1 or both blades are blunt."

A machette was not constructed with the intent of it being a weapon. Thats just my undersatnding from what I have been told, so I'm happy to be corrected. Link didn't work btw.....Could be my bad internet though.

Its the definition of weapon in conjunction to how its designed and specific use as intended by the manufacturer. Swords dont need licences or a permit in QLD, as neither do replica handguns. But its what you do with them or how you use and carry them (especially in public) is when you ask for strife.

A machette was not constructed with the intent of it being a weapon.
Going a bit off the point I was trying to put across, I'm not debating the issue of what constitutes as a weapon. I was merely correcting you on your first comment about owning a knife with a blade longer than 30cm.
I might get a knife of some kind.... Though it's blade can't exceed 30cm or I need the bloody permit lol.

I'm not trying to start a debate with you, just giving you the facts. I have a particular interest in this topic as knife making is one of my hobbies.

Long story short... i was a prime suspect in a homicide years ago and i had 4 Dectectives come in and check out my place.. they took all my knives i had acquired.. and i never got them back.. this was the mid 90s in Darwin.. so if you have a collection be careful who you tell/show and what you have on display..

Great to take the rifle out after having it sit for 4 or months!

got a few pigs, a feral cat and vaporised plenty of rabbits....

wouldnt mind a Ruger No.1 Single shot in a big bore calibre just to throw some heavy lead around.

Anyone own an Adler 5 shot?

would like one as they look to be a bit of fun and would do a number on a mob of pigs if they are in range. I have used a 1887 replica and it was fun to shoot but had to really crank the action.

Going a bit off the point I was trying to put across, I'm not debating the issue of what constitutes as a weapon. I was merely correcting you on your first comment about owning a knife with a blade longer than 30cm.

I'm not trying to start a debate with you, just giving you the facts. I have a particular interest in this topic as knife making is one of my hobbies.

Just a discussion mate. As I said that's my current understanding of it, not syaing I'm right nor your wrong. I love watching people make knives (blacksmithing in general as well). Do you use hand tools or more moden technologies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back