Whats my best option Kitty Litter, Newspaper or bark?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people must be lucky to have special snakes whose **** doesn't smell . I used to have my Jungle in my room (with newspaper) and if he crapped during the day my room would smell terrible by the time I got home that afternoon from work/uni.

Yep, so true. I have a 2 Pygmy Bearded Dragon, a Stimson Python and Jungle Python in my reptile room. Even if the dragon's tank is clean, the Jungle Python poo can really stink out the whole room.. Especially if I come home from work in the afternoon and it's been sitting there all day (having not seen it that morning).

I usually try to keep the room well ventilated, and also light some incense.

i have used three different materials as flooring

1) fake grass - astroturf - decided to change give breeders choice !
2) breeders choice - kitty litter - good but less natural look and can get messy
3) Kitters crumble - coir - after meeting the staff at the castle hill show and getting a sampling of it i have now spent weeks changing all enclosures over to this, looks more natural, my Womas love it very easy to dig into and get under ! last week i got 3 more bags of it to finish the final ones.

one bag goes a long way , its compacted pretty well and expands when airated !

Whilst substrate is being mentioned, has anyone else using Kritter's Crumble noticed that there is a lot of condensation on the enclosure/tub walls?..

Whilst substrate is being mentioned, has anyone else using Kritter's Crumble noticed that there is a lot of condensation on the enclosure/tub walls?..
I read that's a reason a lot of people have tried it and then quickly stopped. Lots of moisture and therefore potential for nasties unless it's dried out first

Yes, this usually dries after a day or so, as it's moist straight from the bag. Some users dry it out first before installing it. Personally I've never had an issue with it, & I've been using it for over a year now exclusively for my snakes. Also this only happens with the fine grade KC, if you get the coar5e* grade KC it isn't as moist. (*excuse the spelling in there, APS doesn't like the last 4 letters when spelt correctly)

Yes, this usually dries after a day or so, as it's moist straight from the bag. Some users dry it out first before installing it. Personally I've never had an issue with it, & I've been using it for over a year now exclusively for my snakes. Also this only happens with the fine grade KC, if you get the coar5e* grade KC it isn't as moist. (*excuse the spelling in there, APS doesn't like the last 4 letters when spelt correctly)

Well I purchased a few of the coarse bags and so far have had them in a rack that I've been monitoring temps in for over 3 weeks now, still condensation on the walls, and before anyone mentions ventilation, there's more than enough...

I don't know about anyone else but I personally prefer a product where I didn't have to go buy it, then open it, dry it out for as long as it takes then put it in my enclosures/tubs..might have to go back to newspaper

i know it comes out of the bag moist but i just kept installing, i have noticed in one enclosure were i have a large waterfall ( boyds forest dragons ) breeding that its far too moist while i know the waterfall aint leaking it seems to retain mositure

Well I purchased a few of the coarse bags and so far have had them in a rack that I've been monitoring temps in for over 3 weeks now, still condensation on the walls, and before anyone mentions ventilation, there's more than enough...
Odd that different keepers get different results with it, I've heard some people haven't had any issues with condensation, I've only had it with the fine grade (not that I consider it an issue, personally, as I find it dries out quickly), & you've had it with both grades. I wonder if the differences lie with different batches, how/where the distributor or retailer store it, or other variables prior to the consumer purchasing it.

NB: Forgot to mention that I only had condensation in tubs. Since moving the snakes to their proper enclosures, I haven't seen evidence of condensation at all.

Last edited:
sock puppet, i tried kritters crumble in tubs and enclosures of various sizes and amounts of ventilation. even enclosures with pegboard backs had condensation down the walls and fogged up glass doors after 2 weeks of use- both fine and coarse grades did this. i ended up putting it outside into the bird aviary- actually made the aviary look quite nice for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back