Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Pilbara specimen of Acanthophis wellsi, I have sometimes seen Acanthophis pyrrhus sitting in the top of spinifex at night time.

Cheers Dave

im not usually one for colourful snakes but thats is one of the most stunning animals
ive ever seen:D

I love how this has gone from "why would you want an Adder" to an Adder appreciation thread :D :lol:

How can you not like them??

death adders in my opinion are the best of the elapids to keep nothing looks better than a beautiful dajarra and i know people that choose to handle them thats a matter of choice but most dont due to there toxicity if u check out pais for scales website roy has hatchies in his hands

Excellent initial post in this thread Sdaji, well written and great photos. While I am not a huge vens fan, you just about sold me. Well done.

"why would you want an adder"

Easy...they're sexy as *******

Ben

Ozzie: Children's! Another of my favourites! :lol:

Bung-Eye: bredli? Now there's a snake I can't bring myself to appreciate.
liar lol your bredli for sale advertss in reptiles australia say something very different i believe you called them good looking:rolleyes:

ok so i didnt think about the awesome auora cast by adders, but its not my thing. btw i really like the look of the darker adders
btw i see thers some death adder owners pride hurt a bit :). my baaad

liar lol your bredli for sale advertss in reptiles australia say something very different i believe you called them good looking:rolleyes:

They do look good, I've always said that. They're just so boring.

Mr.Fishie: I don't think anyone's pride was hurt, I just took the excuse to rave about one of my favourite snakes :) I was rapt when I saw you'd started this thread; I'll take any excuse :) I've never had a shortage of people drooling over my Adders :)

dpeica: Very nice dark Sydney Adders! In my search for 'special' Adders, I overlooked the Sydneys. When I was first getting into Adders I was told that they were the 'basic' Adder which everyone had, and the thought stayed with me for quite a while. I'm now very interested in getting some, and when some nice-looking, locality pure (from the same place within the Sydney area, not just 'Sydney' Adders - yes, I'm fussy! :oops: ) ones come along, I'll definately be interested. Yours are great! I'm jealous! I don't have anything like them!

Nice black-headed, black-banded wellsi, Dave! :) Great picture :) Interesting that they sit on top of spinifex.

Okay, I'll shut up and post some more pictures.

yngarghrrmmm.jpg

openwidecomeinside.jpg

Malegreypraelongus.jpg

Malegreypraelonguss.jpg

Fantastic looking snakes.

newb question 1:
do you fed them like a python?

newb question 2:
do you have a vial of antivenin in the fridge "just in case"

How do you feed a python?

I usually feed the adders either by offering them food on tongs or just by throwing the food at them (they'll often catch it in mid air). You can also just leave food in with them and they'll wander up and find it. They're easy to feed, my little sister fed a whole lot of them one day, she'd never handled or fed any snakes before.

The juveniles can be a little bit difficult, but there are a few little tricks you can use, mostly the same type of thing you'd do with a baby python, but you're a bit more careful not to be bitten. When you know what you're doing it's often quite easy to get baby Adders to feed, even when they seem to be stubborn. Teasing them the right way with pink mice on tongs usually works.

Almost no one keeps antivenom on hand. It's expensive stuff and doesn't last forever. If you need it to save your life the hospital usually won't charge you for it. Also, administering antivenom is a dangerous business, potentially worse than a bite - unless there was no way to get to a hospital in the next 12-24 hours, you'd often be best off not using it. If you're careful it's very easy not to be bitten - unless you're very silly, bites are very unlikely - if I thought there was a high chance of being bitten I wouldn't be keeping them. I'd put a first aid kit in the car and with the kitchen knives before I worried about keeping antivenom handy. I'm a lot more worried about food poisoning, being electrocuted or having a car accident than I am about my snakes. Come to think of it, a first aid kit in the car would probably be prudent.

i guess there's a difference between feeding dragons live crickets and feeding adders live (say rats) - i was wondering if they had a need for killing their food.

I know there's an obvious difference in that the rats are vertebrates but was just wondering if the adders had a different attitude to pre deadend food to say, pythons - thinking about the action of the venom on the decomposition of the food...

I guess you don't get a license to keep them is you are silly eh? how sick would you get from an adult bite?

its funny how many times you hear hat question of do people keep antivenom who keep
dangerously venomous snakes.

it is very expensive to produce and does have a limited shelf life
and isnt needed that often really
how many people need treatment a year form snake bite??
not that many

i guess there's a difference between feeding dragons live crickets and feeding adders live (say rats) - i was wondering if they had a need for killing their food.

I know there's an obvious difference in that the rats are vertebrates but was just wondering if the adders had a different attitude to pre deadend food to say, pythons - thinking about the action of the venom on the decomposition of the food...

I guess you don't get a license to keep them is you are silly eh? how sick would you get from an adult bite?

ive had people i know get bitten,

it is very powerful venom but easily reversed with anti venom

Oh, the live thing. No, there is no need to give them live food. They pump their dead rodents full of venom, it's quite cute to watch them pumping it in :) I have some which are such pigs they'll eat just about anything! The venom probably begins to digest the food, although without venom they'd just have to produce a little more gastric fluid. My Adders have all been raised on dead food, none have ever eaten anything other than rats and mice, most have never even seen a live rodent.

An adult Death Adder is comfortably capable of delivering enough venom in one bite to kill quite a few people. I suppose you can't get any sicker than dead. Having said that, with very basic first aid (a bandage which a trained monkey could easily apply), you're most likely to be fine without any further treatment for hours. I look at them much like the knives in the kitchen and the electricity running through every wall of the house. They're both perfectly capable of killing you if you're stupid, but with care they're not dangerous enough to worry about. I'd be much more worried about the dog than the Adder.

Okay, another post, another picture, it's only fair :p

Here's a white lure (compare it to the orange one I posted previously).

Djarralure.jpg

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't think I have a good picture of a black lure! :oops: I must bring the camera out of hibernation.

On the subject of anti venom, it is not something you could keep at the house even if it was allowed. The vials are not injected straight into your body like an atropine injection is

To get an idea of the costing for anti's, you start by looking at what it cost for the venom which has to come from a controlled lab such as Venom Supplies; 200mg of freeze dried venom from an Acanthophis pyrrhus is $850 and if one needed 1gram of the freeze dried venom it would be $3500, postage extra of course. Then they have to take this freeze dried venom and reconstitute it , then inject a small amount into a horse, then a little more into the same horse, and then maybe a little more, then they take blood from the horse and seperate the serum with the antibodies, this is then freezedried, packaged and shelved.. Now that wasnt a DIY tutorial of how to do it, but just to give you an idea of the steps and the cost involved. And it does have a use by date on them so they have to throw away all expired stuff.

So no, antivenom is not kept at the house of the adder owner or any other venomous animals owners. And if you are the holder of a reptile license and get tagged by a snake on your books then it is your responsibility to cover the cost of the anit-venom

Oh Greg, that is perfect! We get asked that everytime we do a show with venomous, that's going to be my new response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back