Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a stupid question... but..

Sdaji,(or anyone) would you happen to have a really close up photo of one of their sloughs??

First of all, What amazing pics. I think the whole point of this thread started with the question why would you want to keep them. I think the pics have answered that very well indeed, Although I also think that some people that keep reptiles think that they are a "pet" that you can play with when you want. That is a serious misconception that occurs all too often in the reptile world. You see lots of threads on here about how often people handle there reptiles. My pythons probably get handled as much as anyones elapids, cleaning feeding ect. But never just for fun. I have too much respect for my animals to stress them like that.

Thanks for sharing your great photos and knowledge Sdaji.

On the subject of anti venom, it is not something you could keep at the house even if it was allowed. The vials are not injected straight into your body like an atropine injection is

Let alone the fact that an anaphylactic reaction to antivenom is quite common. While self administering an adrenaline shot looks cool in the movies, it's not a good idea to try at home :p

I've kept elapids, pythons, colubrids and I've lived with File Snakes. I've played with boas, blind snakes, vipers... and after all that, Death Adders are up there with my absolute favourites, they'd be in my top three favourite Australian snakes to keep. They're gorgeous, interesting, very low maintenace and very easy to keep. The venom is a mixed blessing, it does make them interesting, but it keeps most people away from them. I am fairly sure that if they were non-venomous they'd be Australia's most popular snake. I rarely physically touch mine (because of the venom), which is a shame, because most of them are such sweet-natured snakes and wouldn't bite if I wanted them to. Tonight I had to manually slough one, it was sort of cute, it repeatedly tried to bite me as I was pulling the old skin off :) (I had it in a secure head grip, there was no danger).

It's difficult to describe the enjoyment I get from watching their very interesting behaviour. They're completely different from anything else in Australia. Funnily enough, they most remind me of Chondros (sit and wait, luring for food). I absolutely love watching them lure, it is so endearing. The 'flattening' behaviour is very cool, it's like what a cobra does when it hoods, but they do it with their whole bodies, from the base of their neck to the base of their tail! Their lightning-fast strikes are extremely impressive. Everyone I know who has kept them has quickly found them to be extremely appealing, there is something very special about them.

While I can't do a great job of describing how appealing they are to keep, I can give you some pictures of some of mine. At the very least, most people will agree they look good.

PrettyprettygirlSleaze.jpg

PrettygirlSleaze.jpg

Djaeye.jpg

readytopwn.jpg

greynorthernadderskin.jpg

MaleDjarraaa.jpg

barklyperspective.jpg

barkly.jpg

barklysatinface.jpg

ADSCN666.jpg

greyintermediateredadderss.jpg

Telsoneatingresized.jpg

I'd love to post more pictures, but I'm sure people will start screaming something about flooding if I do!

wow i love there heads!!

I cant understand why someone would want to keep such boring hideous creatures. The worst ones are those disgusting looking red and black A.wellsi. Why would you want to keep a reptile that cant be cuddled? you ppl are crazy :lol: ;)

This may be a stupid question... but..

Sdaji,(or anyone) would you happen to have a really close up photo of one of their sloughs??

I'm not in the "there are no stupid questions" camp - there certainly are, but yours isn't one of them :) I have a few, what part of the slough are you interested in seeing? I have a camera and a few Adder sloughs within arm's reach, I can take some if there is something in particular you'd like to see. They don't look particularly special as snake sloughs go.

They got nothing on Sdaji's pics but ah well. This pair are my lovelys, breed by Sdaji himself I believe. Since you are so fussy on locality Sdaji, I don't think I ever got the specefics off you. By the say, great adder pics by all else. That wellsi is to die for!

Picture029.jpg

This is what Sdaji was talking about when he said they flatten like a cobra
Cosibeingstubborn.jpg

Karmasdinner.jpg

Karmawaitingforpray.jpg

Good pictures, m.punja :) (and cute gravel :lol: ;) ;) :) ) I didn't breed yours, I bought a group of babies because I was having trouble sexing them with confidence. I ended up with four females and decided it was more than I needed (I now sort of regret it :p ) I knew you wanted a pair, so I parted with a male too. I have baby pictures of your male, I can dig them up and post them if you like :) The ones I still have from the litters yours came from have all been copulating this season, hopefully your pair will soon be an uncle and an aunt :lol:

They're from the top end, NT praelongus, unfortunately I don't have an exact locality for them, but there is no QLD blood in them. One of the parents was bred by Rob Valentic, I can't recall who bred the others. Yours are from two different mothers. I think I've told you, but yours are both het for grey, so if you breed them together you'll get 3/4 red and 1/4 grey babies.

Inkslinger: No secret... they're Death Adders! They're probably the most photogenic snakes in Australia. I wish it was as easy to get good pictures of Water and Children's Pythons!

Okay, another post, another picture...

/me digs one up

AdderBonnett.jpg

Unreal Sdaji, thanks for sharing…………..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back