Egg Sweating in the prehatch period - normal or abnormal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is pre hatch sweating of lizard eggs a normal or abnormal feature.

• NORMAL FEATURE OF A HATCHING LIZARD EGG

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • ABNORMAL FEATURE - THE EGG IS IN TROUBLE

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, some pics of some late term beardy eggs and the container their in. I don't mind if a little more humidity is in the container in the first half of incubation, but like it to dry out a bit by the time their due.
eggcontainer1.jpg

eggcontainer4.jpg

eggcontainer3.jpg

pic of INSIDE surface of lid
eggcontainer2.jpg

I like egg surface to feel 100% dry
eggcontainer5.jpg

See Bob, that pic sends shivers down my spine ;). It doesn't look too dry to me!!!

And yet that looks perfectly normal to me.
I use fully sealed containers and don't vent them other than when removing hatchlings or adding more eggs.

I use fully sealed containers and don't vent them other than when removing hatchlings or adding more eggs.

That pic also looks very wet compared to my eggs, so I would say thats the answer. The amount "normal" eggs sweat is dependant on the incubation mix.

In the long run I have found that the biggest problem with eggs not hatching is not from temps or moisture amount (unless you do something stupid), but from the heating the female is exposed to when she is gravid. I have been varing temps on gravid female geckos over the past few years and results vary immensely.

My dragon eggs often sweat in the period immediately prior to hatching.

See Bob, that pic sends shivers down my spine ;). It doesn't look too dry to me!!!

Unless we are using greatly varying amounts of water the way the water is held in any close system may be due to a number of factors. In my incubator the eggs are heated from below and there is no fan to move the air, so the water probably does condense on the top under the gladwrap. In Jasons incubator there may be the same amount of water but it is not condensed in one place. I like my set up as I know there is water present, but it is not in direct contact with the eggs-you know the snake incubation technique where the eggs sit above water without any incubation medium? Well I think my way of doing it might be that in an inverse way.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread to drag up.
I noticed my first gecko egg sweating the other day, It hatched around 3 hours later and is doing well, I havn`t bred as many geckos as other contributors to this thread but i would have to say the figure would be around 100 give or take.
I check my incubator approx 3 times a day when eggs are close to hatch date and this is the only sweating egg i have ever had, i would have to say that i mix my incubation medium a little on the wet side but i never get a condensation build up and i only open the tubs to remove bad eggs or to get hatchlings out.
With that said, i personly would regard sweating as abnormal but not neccesarily a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back