Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The species with an ' i ' suffix are named after a person, pronounce the persons name with the 'ee' tacked on the end. The same as names with the 'ensis' suffix are named after a location.
Worth keeping in mind that the 'es' ,as in Aspidites, is pronounced 'ees'.

Jordan

Tann-Mann said:
If you wish to continue this debate in a mature fashion then PM or email me,
He may have to email you. Junglist is now on a holiday from APS at present.

Antaresia = an-TAR'eez-ee-a, but most people (myself included) pronounce it ANT-a-reez-ee-a, which is incorect.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
ur too quick hix... was about to call for a moderator ha ha!!! didn't mean to stir this up. just joking with the "tann-man" lol.
thanx for clearing up the Bred-l-ee. i have a yearling pair, and appreciate knowing how to pronounce their scientific names. theres not a gr8 deal of one on one resorces where i live.
thanx again
Martyn

The Bred-l-ee has cleared things up for me also - I have heard ppl that have them call them Bred-l-ii. Very interesting.

Tried my best :p
Scientific names: Common Names Pronounciations:

Antaresia childreni Children's Python-------Ant-a-ree-sia children-ii
Antaresia maculosa spotted Python---------------------- mak-u-low-sa
Antaresia perthensis Pygmy Python----------------------pur-then-siss
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson's Python--------------------- stim-p-son
Aspidites melanocephalus Black-headed Python-----***-pid-ites--mell-an-O-seff-a-lous
Aspidites ramsayi Woma---------- Ram-s-eye
Leiopython albertisii D'alberti's Python-------leo-python
Liasis fuscus Water Python-------------------lee-aise----fushuss
Liasis o. barroni Western Olive Python ------------------barron-iii
Liasis o. olivaceus Olive Python ---------------olive-ak-ii-ous
Morelia amethistina kinghorni Scrub Python-----morr-ii-ell-a amthyst-ii-na king-horn-ii
Morelia bredli Centralian Carpet Python -----------morr-ii-ell-a bread-lee (lye)
Morelia carinata Rough-scaled Python-------------------------carin-art-a
Morelia oenpelliensis Oenpelli Rock Python---------------------ow-en-pel-en-sis
Morelia spilota cheynei Jungle Carpet python------------------spill-ow-ta shy-ene
Morelia spilota imbricata Southwestern Carpet Python -------------imm-brick-ata
Morelia spilota mcdowelli Coastal Carpet Python ------------------mac-dowel-ii
Morelia spilota metcalfei Inland Carpet Python ---------------------met-calf-ii
Morelia spilota spilota Diamond Python-----------------------------spill-ow-ta
Morelia spilota variegata Northwestern Carpet Python--------------vairy-a-gata
Morelia viridis Green Tree Python ---------------------------------------------------------------verd-iss

Latin

I was always told that as Latin is a "dead" language there is no corect pronunciations (unless we raise a few ancient romans from the dead and ask them) and that is why we use it for the naming of species.

P.S please don't be mean to me (I'v seen where this thread has been already) I'm only small

Excellent Pythoness - thanks heaps.

Actually, Pythoness, a lot of those are incorrect. I'll put up the correct pronounciations later tonight.

And Mystery, yes, latin was originally used for scientific names because it is a dead language. But people were still speaking it, just not as their first tongue. Nowadays there are a lot of other languages thrown in to boot.

Hix

Way to go Pythoness!!!:D Top stuff, they are being pasted into a word doc as i type (well not really i'm not that good at multi tasking) but all the same great contribution its a great help.

owcurat lol, only my avatar bites, but anyway do u know any good voodoo spells so we can bring back one of these latin speaking romans? lol.
i know there will always be debate over how things 'should' be said but i'm hoping to work off majority rules.
cheers
Andrew

Damn hix ur quick. well pythoness I commend u on giving it ur best shot, better than i have done i just keep asking lol.
lookin forward to the result tonight, don't go to too much effort hix, i'm on uni holidays still so i got plety of time up my sleves, so if ur busy jsut do it another day

Actually, Pythoness, a lot of those are incorrect. I'll put up the correct pronounciations later tonight.

And Mystery, yes, latin was originally used for scientific names because it is a dead language. But people were still speaking it, just not as their first tongue. Nowadays there are a lot of other languages thrown in to boot.

Hix

So Hix - how do we know the correct way, or, is there even a correct way? We have a local guy around here who is into Cichlids and some reptiles - he ALWAYS uses the scientific names, (and has me baffled), if you try to correct him on anything, he is always right.

So Hix - how do we know the correct way, or, is there even a correct way? We have a local guy around here who is into Cichlids and some reptiles - he ALWAYS uses the scientific names, (and has me baffled), if you try to correct him on anything, he is always right.
hey Mystery
I know what you mean there, i could have heard the same name said 5 different ways. Cichlids...i had to study them in evolution and biogeography, i still don't think i know how to say it correctly, and have more than 1 lecturer for the one unit they all use scientific names.

Hix
Well, slap me silly, i never said they were all perfect, i said i had done my best, lol.:oops::rolleyes: :lol:

well i am only new to this site and reading the posts people have made makes it a lot easier for me to pronunce alot of those tounge twisters

Hey guys:D
i've been doing some more research into the pronunciations and stumbled across this
http://herpetology.com/cdrom.html
its an american based site selling an audio CD of the Pronunciations of Australian Herp names as well as extensive colour photos and information. I am just enquiring whether anyone has seen or heard this CD, I just want to check how legit it is before I even consider buying it. i'm just a little aprehensive as the site itself...well i shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it looks very dated.:|

There was also this site http://www.saltspring.com/capewest/pron.htm which i must admit is great at helping break down the words...very useful indeed.
but still no luck on anything specific to herps that is Oz based anyway.

Hix...fell free to remove those argumentive post, I don't want to upset anyone over them (Or fire up another) i honestly don't mind wat happens but here prob isn't the best place for them...Oh and thanks for posting that Abbreviations and glossary thread in the APS help section, hopefully it should come in handy for new users.

Cheers
Andrew:lol:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back